Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about running the filter during shocking

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about running the filter during shocking

Hi there!
    Haven't had a problem for years with my pool, (follow troublefreepool program) however I guess I slipped and I have a slight bloom of green algae on the steps. Beginning shock treatment today.
    Just curious to know if it's absolutely essential to run the filter *continuously* during shocking, and what the real benefits are for doing that. Is it possible to run just for a portion of the days (for example -throughout the day, but not at night) ? The reason I ask, is that the electric bill is going to KILL me ($$$) next month if I run the pump continuously for a few days.
    Has anyone tried shocking and just running the pump for several hours during each day with success? (8-10 hours a day for example?).
    Thanks in advance!
    John

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about running the filter during shocking

It will slow your SLAM down and cost you in bleach and time.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Question about running the filter during shocking

It is sort of necessary. Not so much for filtering but for circulation. When the bleach kills the algae, there's no more bleach in that area. And if the water is not circulating, no fresh bleach gets moved in to replace it. So whatever algae is left in the localized area gets a free ride and can reproduce.

Get right on that algae and brush the $#!? out of it. The faster you kill it, the faster the SLAM is over, and the sooner you can revert to a normal filter schedule. If it's just some patches on the floor, it could be just a matter of a day or two.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool Re: Question about running the filter during shocking

OK, great! Understood, and makes sense. Thanks for the replies! It is much appreciated - especially on a Saturday.
    Kind regards,
    John.