It flooded here in Texas which turned pool Green!

Aug 30, 2014
Blue Mound, TX
6500 gallon round Intex hard sided pool with SandPro 50 4510 sand filter. I've used the BBB method for last 3 years and pool was always sparkling clean. The Texas Flood kept me from cleaning the pool. It's got leaves and bugs and its green. I put 4 gallons of liquid shock in last night as the chlorine tested 0. It is testing dark orange and ph was dark red. Always had problem with high ph. This morning chlorine still testing orange. Put in 2 big bottles or muratic acid and ph is almost within range. Can see bottom of pool now. Going to clean pool with pool blaster. I have always been ocd constantly cleaning the pool, so this is traumatic for me. Am I on the right track?

I just back washed and it was awful. I forgot I should be backwashing a lot more than I have been while its this green. Hopefully, this will help. I tested again and chlorine still up but ph is up again. Going to keep vacuuming and hopefully will help.

You need a real test kit that gives you actual numbers/amount of chlorine, CC's and other chemistry levels instead of relying on strips or a simple OTO box kit.
The link in my signature will show you where we all buy our kits (either the TF-100 (preferred) or the Taylor's K2006) Pool stores don't generally sell the correct kits with the all important FAS-DPD test in it.

(I love my Pool Blaster Max too!)

6500 gallon round Intex hard sided pool with SandPro 50 4510 sand filter. I've used the BBB method for last 3 years and pool was always sparkling clean. The Texas Flood kept me from cleaning the pool. It's got leaves and bugs and its green. I put 4 gallons of liquid shock in last night as the chlorine tested 0. It is testing dark orange and ph was dark red. Always had problem with high ph. This morning chlorine still testing orange. Put in 2 big bottles or muratic acid and ph is almost within range. Can see bottom of pool now. Going to clean pool with pool blaster. I have always been ocd constantly cleaning the pool, so this is traumatic for me. Am I on the right track?
Almost. The idea was sound, but the execution was clumsy.

On an OTO tester, hunter orange is around 18 FC, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange. So you're somewhere close to shock level, most likely. Adding the Muriatic acid was not such a good idea. FC levels above 10 react with the pH reagent and make it read falsely high. Pictures. That's why the SLAM instructions say to adjust pH first, because you can't test it during the SLAM. Whenever your chlorine level drops down to something less than blinding tweety bird yellow, you'll likely discover your pH is way too low.

Do not adjust pH when FC levels are over 10. 4 bottles of bleach?! My goodness that is excessive. You need to slow down, think about what you are doing, order a kit and use pool math.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.