Solar Installation

boston62

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Pool Size
Do you have to drill a hole in the 3 port diverter valve so the panels drain down to pool? I have been reading everthing i could find, and that came up, it said Compol solar valve has it already, but i want to use a Janfy... Thank you

Pentair also has a solar 3 way with a check valve in it. You only might need the hole to help drain if you have a controller that turns off the solar valve when the pump shuts off.

A bypass is another option that lets you control things somewhat, I went this way in conjunction with a drain valve.
attachment.php

The red valve is set to allow just a small bypass trickle, enough to slowly drain the section going up to the panels when the pump is off. You may also note the wire tied to the lever style drain valve. This wire was added after a small limb fell one night and bumped the valve partly open draining several inches of water from the pool. The pool equipment including the diverter valve is indoors behind the wall seen here.

You can splice in an additional length on the sensor, just use a good marine grade splice that will not corrode and seal it with watertight splicing tape. This is important as corrosion in the connection will increase resistance of the circuit and result in false temperature readings.

Ike

p.s. another alternative would be to use gel splices like are used on phone lines

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would not close the valve all the way. You will probably hear it start to drain, Just leave it there as an "off" position rather than "hard off" like a faucet. When "off" your pump may push water a few feet up the pipe depending on head pressure, but it won't fill the cells.

It looks like when your system is off, both sides should drain OK. At least that's the plan A.

Plan B would be to add a vacuum break at the highest place in the panel system. But those can be tricky.

I read i should drill a 1/4" hole in the diverter valve for draining when the pump shuts off..you ever hear of this? I think Pentair sells a 3 port solar valve with the hole it I use Jandy though. Thanks to everyone for the help, will post photo of what i am doing..

Yes, there are many threads discussing adding a hole, 1/4" is likely even bigger than you need.

Do you already have the solar 3-way installed? If not, then just use one that has the check valve built in.

And there is nothing mysterious or complicated about installing a VRV (vacuum release valve). You do need one to prevent a vacuum when the pump turns off causing damage to the cells. It can go just about anywhere in the system.

I have no shut-off valves. Just the 3-way on the supply and the check valve on the return. I have a drain valve open all winter on the roof and never had any water up there, so they much be doing a good enough job isolating the solar.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.