Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: high TA and low CH

1. Back To Top    #1

waterford MI

high TA and low CH

I have issue with high TA(175) and low CH(175) .
    I have lowered PH to 7.0 and I keep it this way for 3 days and I don't see any changes in TA. I know that to raise CH I have to add some calcium chloride (I will ASAP) but TA seems to be frozen. I keep fighting with that pool for a while and water remains to be cloudy.
    starting to have enough of it. This is a inground plaster pool that have been painted with some pool paint by previous owner,
    have old gravel/sand filter (replaced sand last year),
    use trichlor as sanitizer(FC=15, CC=0.5)I keep chlorine high to remove that cloudiness,
    current PH=7.1

any suggestions what else can I try?
    Thanks in advance

27700 gal plaster pool painted with pool paint, gravel/sand filter(unknown brand or capacity(no labels)), trichlor feeder,
    Last edited by lubczak; 06-06-2015 at 01:38 PM. Reason: cloudy water high TA

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: high TA and low CH

What are the details of your pool?

Have you read this article re your TA? Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

The pucks you are using are acidic and keeping the pH from rising probably.

You are already getting near the top end of CYA for a non-SWG pool, so you should probably stop using them.

But, if the pool is cloudy I would SLAM it ip using liquid chlorine. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

waterford MI

Re: high TA and low CH

Thanks for answer!
    I'll try to stop trichlor for a while and will use liquid to SLAM it and see what happens.
    since it is cloudy and FC is so high I understand that my PH reading on FAS-DPD test may be off?
    I'm aerating it with water splashing into it from return ans with air.