No Free Chlorine.

jmj

Jun 3, 2015
Sicklerville, NJ
Good afternoon, like other users, this year has been quite a challenge to get our FC levels up. We noticed an organic stain in the deep end that seemed to last longer than normal during our initial opening. After going to the pool store and having them test the water, their recommendations were all over the place so I started searching online and found this wonderful forum where other users were having similar issues. I read many articles in the Pool School section and based on that I noticed we had quite a bit of CC so I started the SLAM process Thursday night. I think it has been working as I can see the organic stain in the deep end starting to fade; however, I am unsure of how long I need to continue this process. Before starting the SLAM, my numbers were
FC = 0
CC = 4.5
CYA = 30
PH = 7.2
TA = 120
CH = 220

Today, my numbers are
FC = 1
CC = 2.5
CYA = 30
PH= 7.0
TA = 60
CH = 200

I started using bleach 8.25% instead of Bioguard Cal-hypo since I noticed this would keep bringing the CH up. I am using a Taylor K-2006(FAS-DPD) testing kit to get the numbers above. I read a few things that said the free chlorine test may be inaccurate misreading CC as free chlorine so the 1 above may actually still be 0. I guess my question is do I get my PH and TA levels back up before continuing with the SLAM process or continue the SLAM process which the PH down some due to the organic stain? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am unsure of how long I need to continue this process.
You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

The most important part of the SLAM is the M for Maintain - as in continually maintaining FC as close to the target FC level as you can until the three conditions above are met. It is not a one-time dose of a high amount of chlorine.

I also wouldn't worry about pH or TA during the SLAM. I also would not test pH during the SLAM as the higher FC levels can invalidate that test. Besides, having a pH in the low 7's is ideal for the SLAM. Once you are done with the SLAM and FC levels drop below 10 ppm, then you can test pH & TA and re-balance as needed.

You are done when:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

The most important part of the SLAM is the M for Maintain - as in continually maintaining FC as close to the target FC level as you can until the three conditions above are met. It is not a one-time dose of a high amount of chlorine.

I also wouldn't worry about pH or TA during the SLAM. I also would not test pH during the SLAM as the higher FC levels can invalidate that test. Besides, having a pH in the low 7's is ideal for the SLAM. Once you are done with the SLAM and FC levels drop below 10 ppm, then you can test pH & TA and re-balance as needed.

Thank you very much.

Nice first post, you get an A+ for reading :)

Now SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

make sure you stay above your shock value at all times, whenever you go below shock level of 12 for your CYA of 30 green things grow :( Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
test as much as possible, wait at least an hour between adding and testing, leave your pump running until your done slaming..

post back with results tonight :)

Nice first post, you get an A+ for reading :)

Now SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

make sure you stay above your shock value at all times, whenever you go below shock level of 12 for your CYA of 30 green things grow :( Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
test as much as possible, wait at least an hour between adding and testing, leave your pump running until your done slaming..

post back with results tonight :)

Good evening cowboycasey, the numbers are in. So I did a SLAM earlier today right after my first post around 2pm and kept it at the shock level of 12 for my CYA of 30. My numbers are below. I will check the numbers again in the morning. I will say that in the last couple of days reading this forum, the amount of knowledge that I have gained is priceless. Without it, I know I would have been spinning my wheels for a much longer time.

FC = 3
CC = 0.5
CYA = 30
PH = 7.0
TA = 60

jmj, just to be sure ... you did your SLAM earlier today? Did you pass ALL 3 criteria:

- CC is 0.5 or lower;
- You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
- And the water is clear.

Remember as Bo mentioned above ...The most important part of the SLAM is the M for Maintain - as in continually maintaining FC as close to the target FC level as you can until the three conditions above are met. It is not a one-time dose of a high amount of chlorine. Because you started at 12 FC and now are at 3 it makes me wonder if you stopped SLAM a bit early.

Well, I just had to chime-in since it's getting late and I saw your post. CowboyCasey will reply soon I'm sure. Best of luck!

jmj, just to be sure ... you did your SLAM earlier today? Did you pass ALL 3 criteria:

- CC is 0.5 or lower;
- You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
- And the water is clear.

Remember as Bo mentioned above ...The most important part of the SLAM is the M for Maintain - as in continually maintaining FC as close to the target FC level as you can until the three conditions above are met. It is not a one-time dose of a high amount of chlorine. Because you started at 12 FC and now are at 3 it makes me wonder if you stopped SLAM a bit early.

Well, I just had to chime-in since it's getting late and I saw your post. CowboyCasey will reply soon I'm sure. Best of luck!

Good morning Texas Splash, my numbers from this morning are below. You are correct, I did stop a bit early. I must have confused myself somewhere during the process. I started the SLAM on Thursday and did keep FC levels up to 12 through Saturday at 2PM which was my last dose to keep that level. Per the 3 criteria, I have clear water, CC of 0.5 or less and OCLT 1 ppm FC loss since the reading at 10:35pm last night which was FC=3. Maybe I should pick up where I left off just to be on the safe side. Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate all of the help and guidance from all of you.

FC = 2
CC = 0.5
CYA = 30
PH = 7.0
TA = 60
CCH = 20

That's great! You passed all 3 criteria! :goodjob: It would appear you won the battle. Now before you go doing too many cannonballs today, I would take a moment to bump-up that FC quickly so nothing tries to come back. You never want it below 3. Given everything you went through, it wouldn't hurt to keep it slightly higher for a day or two (perhaps 6-7) to make sure algae is gone. It won't hurt anything and is still within your recommended level for a vinyl pool. Also might consider watching the CYA since it's at your low end of 30. Maybe after your sure all the CYA has blended into your water (takes a few days), consider bumping it to about 40 or 50 or so just to protect your free chlorine. Sounds like you did it. Wonderful. Now go out an enjoy your hard work. :snorkle:

good morning, great job :goodjob::party::goodjob::party:

If you passed all 3 OCLT you are good but you lost 1 FC overnight and might still have something going on.. only you can see how it looks :)

you are down at the minimum amount of fc, you will lose 2 to 4 fc a day, after a week or so you will know how much your pool needs daily to keep your fc above 4. I would add chlorine/bleach to 7 fc daily and see if it keeps you around 4 fc 24 hours later.. if 7 fc drops to 3 in 24 hours add to bring it to 8.

anytime you go below 2 fc green things can grow and we don't want that :)

Not scolding here, but this thread is a classic example of failure to complete a SLAM.

The SLAM was developed so you can kill virtually ALL the organics in your pool and get rid of any residual debris. In order to do that as quickly and effectively as possible, the SLAM FC value MUST BE MAINTAINED CONSTANTLY until you meet the three criteria we set.

This single idea has been the hardest to communicate for us over the years. Eventually, we will evolve the correct words so it becomes more obvious to everyone just what the SLAM is. We are not there yet.

BTW, OP did a nice job getting the pool cleared.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not scolding here, but this thread is a classic example of failure to complete a SLAM.

The SLAM was developed so you can kill virtually ALL the organics in your pool and get rid of any residual debris. In order to do that as quickly and effectively as possible, the SLAM FC value MUST BE MAINTAINED CONSTANTLY until you meet the three criteria we set.

This single idea has been the hardest to communicate for us over the years. Eventually, we will evolve the correct words so it becomes more obvious to everyone just what the SLAM is. We are not there yet.

BTW, OP did a nice job getting the pool cleared.

Good morning duraleigh, you are correct that I did not finish the SLAM in its entirety correctly and I don't view your comments as scolding, simply educating. I would say you have all been doing an amazing job even if there are some minor issues in terms of a full understanding on the readers’ part. I think for me that just printing out a little cheat sheet would have helped me tremendously by allowing me to put all of the steps in order and having a reference handy while actually at the pool. Thanks again everyone for all of your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.