Rust eating pool wall

Jun 6, 2015
Waukesha
I have a 22' x 5' above ground pool. This pool came with the house i bought 2 years ago. The pool is around 12+ years old. When i bought the house i noticed some rust stains on the pool wall with one location having more rust then other areas. Most of the places these are small rust dots, but one place it was golf ball size. Given my ignorance of above ground pools and how they are constructed, i let it be. Over past winter, the golf ball size rust stain got bigger and now it is base ball size. I also noticed that water has been leaking from this area after i closed the pool last fall.

I have attached the pics which show the damage and also the pool construction. Pardon me that some pictures are rotated. I could not find a way to make them upright. As you can notice that the rusted hole is under the deck.

So i decided to take a look and found that rust has left a big base ball sized hole in the pool wall. Also the liner had a small hole which i patched with a patch kit. While searching online for solutions to patch the rust hole, i came across this forum and found some suggestions of inserting a metal sheet between liner and the pool wall and duct taping it over the pool wall.

So before i go ahead and embark on this project, i wanted to make sure that it is doable by me otherwise i will take professional help.

My first concern is whether i will be able to take untuck the liner and tuck it back properly. Do i need to drain the water below the rust hole or is there a way to insert the metal sheet without draining?
Secondly, i have a a 28 guage glavanized sheet with me. Will that work for the purpose or i need a thinner sheet?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Sanjeev

Your problem there is pretty high up the wall so I'd drain it down to that level at LEAST to make it easy. You may find your problem goes deeper than you think when you peel back the liner. Sandpaper, primer and rustoleum before you 3 layer tape that plate in place.

Wow. You have a significant problem there. I agree with woody.,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.