Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test strips say no chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Test strips say no chlorine

Hello. We had a professional open our pool 4 days ago. He put in 2 bags of shock. We tested the next day and it read no chlorine. We added 4 3" pucks, tested the next day, still nothing. Since then, we have added 2 full 121 oz jugs of 8% bleach. Still not registering any chlorine. It hasn't even been that hot or sunny. Everything else on the test strip is within normal ranges (ph, etc). Now what?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test strips say no chlorine

You need your own quality test kit. Test stirs are bad on a good day.

If the chlorine level is too high the strip can bleach out and show no FC. So, you either have no chlorine or very high chlorine.

I recomend you order a TF100 today. TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Now purchase a recommended test kit and post your results.

Either a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100
    18k gal AG Sand Filter K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

I am sorry but we really can't tell much from those test strips, they are at best one step better than a Ouji board
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh man now I'm scared I've put 10 times as much chlorine in as I should have! I know we have a better testing kit around here I just can't find it at the moment. I'll report back as soon as I do. Also - the water looks almost too blue. Is that a sign of something? Thank you all for your suggestions.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bec2854 View Post
    Oh man now I'm scared I've put 10 times as much chlorine in as I should have! I know we have a better testing kit around here I just can't find it at the moment. I'll report back as soon as I do. Also - the water looks almost too blue. Is that a sign of something? Thank you all for your suggestions.
    If you got the test kit at a pool store or other store the limit of the chlorine test is probably 5ppm.

You really do want the kit we recomend.

No, too blue is not a sign of anything I know of.

If you did over chlorinate it will come down in a couple of days.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

So both of the kits recommended look like they are around $50-$60. Is there a more budget friendly option?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bec2854 View Post
    So both of the kits recommended look like they are around $50-$60. Is there a more budget friendly option?
    Not really. A TF100 and the XL option will get you free shipping and carry you through this season and probably most of next year as well. Go hang out at the pool store tomorrow and see how much people are spending there on generally useless chemicals and bad advice and weigh the difference.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Bec2854,

What folks above are saying is we will teach you and you will learn to manage your pool yourself. You can keep the money you paid to the folks to open your pool, you can keep the money the Pool Store will talk you in to.

BUT..... Almost everything we teach begins with accurate and dependable test results........there is no substitute. So the "budget-friendly" strips don't work and neither will the "free" testing you get at the pool store.

Take charge of your pool....don't let others do it for you. To start that, you will have to give the forum the kind of precise numbers it needs to help you.

Read through the many threads on here.....you'll be a believer.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

First, welcome to TFP!

Simply put, would you pay $50 to save $500? I'm not joking since that is about what I am saving a year by not running the overpriced chlorinator we had or shocking weekly or doing any of the stuff we used to do with our pool. It is also kind of nice that our water is way clearer than before too. It literally saved me money to get better water quality. That is what TFPC does.

It is your pool and your call. I am just offering my own experience as an example.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Okay so there is definitely chlorine in there! I found the other test kit we bought last year (hth 6 way test kit) and tested while I wait for my Taylor K-2006 to arrive and chlorine matched somewhere between 2 and 10 ppm (all those shades of yellow look the same to me). I really hope this new kit is easier to read! Thanks all for your help!