Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Zero Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Zero Chlorine

Hello all.

Just opened up our Intex AG pool. Completely drained and refilled with city water. Water is very clear. I am getting zero chlorine levels.

Kit: Taylor K-1005

FC: 0
    PH: 7.8
    TA: 90
    CYA: 30- (That black dot never disappears, even with the tube filled).

I'll add Clorox bleach, and will get a FC reading shortly after, but by morning, it's back to zero.

Never had this problem. Any ideas? Looks like I may need to add stabilizer?

Twotone315 :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Zero Chlorine

Welcome to TFP Mark, sorry we haven't answered you sooner.

I am sorry for answering you with questions, but I can't avoid it. So how much Chlorine are you adding each time, and what was going on in the pool prior to drain and refill? What FC level are you targeting with each addition? There are two things that consume Chlorine and they are Sunlight and organics. You may not be adding enough, and the Sun may be getting all you are putting in. You do need to add stabilizer for sure, so I would get on that today. Post back, and we can go from there.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

3. Back To Top    #3
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Good morning Mark! When you reply, I'd like to suggest taking a moment to include all of your pool information into your signature. This can be done by going to the top of the TFP page and selecting "Settings" just under the Pool School button. When the next page appears, look to the left menu for "Edit Signature". It will help all the TFP readers assist you in the future. Have a great day.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

If you have low CYA - and you do if the dot never disappears - the sun will steal all your chlorine in a few hours.

Even a perfectly balanced pool will lose 2 or 3 FC every day. More if it's really hot and sunny or if it gets a lot of use.

You just need to raise the CYA level to 40 or 50 and accept that a pool is like a pet and requires daily feeding. If you use the sock method we describe to add CYA, the pool will stay swimmable to whole time.

If by chance you end up with the water going cloudy from too long with too little FC, you'll need to do the SLAM process. And to do that you'll need a better chlorine test. Luckily, you can buy just the FAS-DPD test and turn your kit into a K-2006. Even if you don't need to SLAM, it's still a much better test than the one your kit comes with. No questioning the shade at all. It's pink or it isn't. Pretty foolproof.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry for not getting back to you all. I went and bought some stabilizer and my chlorine levels were back to normal, well, I missed a few days of adding chlorine because of the weather, so my FC went from 4 to zero pretty much, but my all my other levels were good:

FC: 0 or reallllly low (been about 4-5 days since I added anything)
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 90
    CYA: 50

Intex- 16'
    Intex Sand Filter
    Twotone315 :)

Georgetown, ON, Canada

Hi okie, try not to miss any days of adding chlorine, algae doesnt care about bad weather, you shouldnt either lol. best wishes
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7
    Savannah GA

Fc is the single most important number.....keep that up period. It is better that is higher than it is lower. All things being equal, don't let fc drop below the minimum for your cya.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits