Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to connect hose to vacuum pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to connect hose to vacuum pool?

So my pool is a grain silo ring put in the ground lol it has one skimmer and the skimmer only has one hole in it. Do I need a special plate to put in there to attach a hose? http://imgur.com/a/Q13id This is the pool, it looks way better than this after I shocked the **** out of it though. I can take pics of the skimmer if someone needs that.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to connect hose to vacuum pool?

There are skimmer plates. Here is a link to show you some of the different ones.

skimmer vacuum plates - Google Search

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

A picture might help, if we can see through the water to the bottom of the skimmer.

I found a threaded PVC pipe coupling that slips into the hole in my skimmer without going past the internal lip. The vacuum hose is a snug fit in the threaded end. Works perfect for me. Almost too much suction.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

http://i.imgur.com/KpCvG2c.jpg Picture is not too good but theirs only one hole in there but to the left their looks to be another piece that looks like a plug?

5. Back To Top    #5

It's quite common to have the main drain plumbed to the skimmer, so there will be two ports. If the pool isn't plumbed that way, they plug the unused port. You can try finding something like I did or use a vacuum plate. The vacuum plate's actually not a bad idea, because it can sit above the basket and catch most of the debris before it gets to the pump strainer. Just measure the diameter of the skimmer opening and get one that fits. http://www.lowes.com/pd_2435-1003-VP_0__?productId=3027674
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I will try that, thanks! The pool is looking a ton better now. Just need to get the vacuum and all that going. http://imgur.com/TVf1E2f

7. Back To Top    #7

You have made some awesome progress! Good job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I use a vac plate too it helps to catch the finer stuff and can still use the filter sock. My only problem is the suction pressure cracked my plate. I still use it cracked.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

9. Back To Top    #9

For those of us with main drains plumbed to the skimmer, does the flying saucer water diverter stay in, or should we pull out the diverter?

I can put my vacuum hose into the main suction port at the bottom of the skimmer, but I use a skimmer plate so the skimmer basket and sock can catch more of the crud instead of the pump strainer. Was just curious about whether or not to leave the diverter in place or not.

Skimmer thing.jpg
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jrs_diesel View Post
    For those of us with main drains plumbed to the skimmer, does the flying saucer water diverter stay in, or should we pull out the diverter?

I can put my vacuum hose into the main suction port at the bottom of the skimmer, but I use a skimmer plate so the skimmer basket and sock can catch more of the crud instead of the pump strainer. Was just curious about whether or not to leave the diverter in place or not.

Skimmer thing.jpg
    You'll have to experiment and find out. I tried vacuuming with the diverter in place and it didn't work. The pump had the choice between pulling water up through a relatively short fat pipe or a long, twisted narrow hose and the gap between the vacuum head and the floor. The main drain won and it didn't vacuum worth beans.

11. Back To Top    #11

Is it possible to just plug directly into the skimmers one port if I submerge the line first? I will get a plate if needed though I don't wanna damage my new pump/filter. I just wondered if I submerge the hose and get the air out then plug into the one skimmer port it could work? I also need to find out what other chemicals to add. I have a little test strip deal they left behind that looks old as ****. Has two eye droppers of stuff with a small double vialed measureed piece but I have no idea what any of those measurements mean lol.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Dedshark View Post
    Is it possible to just plug directly into the skimmers one port if I submerge the line first? I will get a plate if needed though I don't wanna damage my new pump/filter. I just wondered if I submerge the hose and get the air out then plug into the one skimmer port it could work?
    Yes. That's what I do. However, I don't get a lot of debris blown into my pool, mostly just dust, so clogging the pipes with a wad of soggy leaves isn't a huge worry for me. Others may not be so fortunate.
    I also need to find out what other chemicals to add. I have a little test strip deal they left behind that looks old as ****. Has two eye droppers of stuff with a small double vialed measureed piece but I have no idea what any of those measurements mean lol.
    Spend the money and invest in a proper test kit. You'll love being in control.

13. Back To Top    #13

Well I have a nice big pile of leaves in the bottom of the pool I need to clean up, maybe I should wait until I get a plate so I can keep the skimmer in.

14. Back To Top    #14

You can also get a leaf rake like this

Academy - INTEX Leaf Rake

Kim

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    You can also get a leaf rake like this

Academy - INTEX Leaf Rake

Kim
    Thanks!