Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Readings with Taylor K-2006. Any advice?

1. Back To Top    #1

First Readings with Taylor K-2006. Any advice?

Just did my first readings with my Taylor K-2006 test kit and any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.

FC - 6ppm (12 drops at 10mL level x .5)
    pH - 7.0 (obviously needs to be raised)
    TA - 50
    CH - 100
    CYA - 48 (just added on Monday, June 1st)

Any other readings I should include?

Pool Temp is a frigid 72. Just learned I need to take the dark blue solar cover off during the day and temp has come up 5-6 degrees in just a couple days. Hopefully the 85-90 degree days we have coming will get it up a few more degrees.

I've been running the SWG fro 3 hours a day starting at about 1pm.

Thank you in advance for your responses. I would be totally lost without this site!

Pooll - 15'x42" Intex Metal Frame above ground pool
    Filter & Pump - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679
    Pool Installed - May 30, 2015
    Test Kit - Taylor Technologies K2006

(Please let me know if there is any other information I should add to my signature.)
    Last edited by rdowns67; 06-06-2015 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added Signature

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Readings with Taylor K-2006. Any advice?

You left off the most important information: what does the water look like? Perfect readings are no good if the water is murky or green. You wow people with crystal clear sparkling water, not test results.

pH and TA both need to come up a little. Do you have any leftover pool store chemicals to use up?

If you plug all your numbers into pool math, it will tell you what it needs. Be sure to figure your volume based on water depth, not wall height. And before you add anything, scroll down to Effects of Adding Chemicals and see what each addition will do. Borax will raise pH and add a little TA. Baking Soda will add TA and raise pH a tiny bit. You don't want to go full dose on both and end up overshooting.

CYA is a bit low for a SWG, but it hasn't been a full week since you added. What was your target there? Have you reached it, or does it still have a little ways to go?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Water is crystal clear!

I will input my numbers into pool math and see what I need to do to get pH and TA up.

The only things I have put in the pool are 100# of salt and 1# of CYA per the Intex manual guidelines.

CYA has a little ways to go but I'm not going to worry about for another couple of days. I believe I was shooting for 70.

Bottom line is this water safe to swim in right now? My kids are dieing to get in for the first time.
    Pooll - 15'x42" Intex Metal Frame above ground pool
    Filter & Pump - Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679
    Pool Installed - May 30, 2015
    Test Kit - Taylor Technologies K2006
    (Please let me know if there is any other information I should add to my signature.)

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I don't see the CC or TC numbers...

As long as CC is lower then 1 like around .5 I would say throw 'em in. I'm kinda new though so take that with a grain of salt!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Let 'em in.

The pH isn't low enough to hurt anyone. Still ought to be fixed.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!