Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: To SLAM or not to SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

To SLAM or not to SLAM

Hello,
    I'm new to TFP and my first thought is to SLAM my pool to get started.

On the other hand, my TF-100 numbers don't seem too bad (other than low chlorine and high TA):
    FC=0.5
    CC=0
    TC=0.5
    CH=275
    TA=160
    CYA=60

No algae, water is a bit blue.

Should I SLAM or just get the FC level up to 3ppm?

Thanks
    30K gal, 20x40 ft, IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 120 sqft cartridge, TF-100 Test Kit, 16 mil solar blanket

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: To SLAM or not to SLAM

Welcome! The following link had a good post on blue water. Give it a read and see if it still applies to you.

Why is my water blue?

- - - Updated - - -

PS - Don't let that CYA creep-up on you any higher. You're not using any tablets right?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes- Definitely get that FC up to the minimum 3!

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, what was your PH? I didn't see that above. And TA will need to come down a bit too. See the Recommend Levels chart below in my link.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I just stopped using tablets. Switched to bleach.
    I did just add Kleen Pool algaecide about a month ago. That could be the reason for the water looking blue; a bit of copper.
    Would you recommend that I empty 1/2 the pool to get rid of the copper?

pH 7.5
    30K gal, 20x40 ft, IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP pump, 120 sqft cartridge, TF-100 Test Kit, 16 mil solar blanket

4. Back To Top    #4

I'll have to let our mineral experts reply to that question about copper. Glad you pulled the pucks though!

- - - Updated - - -

I did find this previous post though: Copper Green pool

Also, another one just in case: Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP!

How long has the chlorine been below the minimum level for your CYA? Chlorine CYA Chart That is when algae starts growing.

Maybe Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if there is organic matter growing in your pool consuming chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks pooldv. Thats a good idea. I'll test tonight to see what's going on,

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi there.
    The overnight chlorine loss test passed as it went from 5ppm to 4ppm of FC with CC at 0.5ppm for both readings in a 9 hour period between 9PM and 6AM. It seems that there is no need to SLAM.
    Can someone verify that I need to keep my FC level at 8ppm with my CYA at 70? It seems high. Also my daily K-1000 chlorine test that came with the TS-100 test kit does not go that high. Does that mean that I have to use the FAS/DPD test daily?
    Thanks for you help !

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ixp9276 View Post
    Hi there.
    The overnight chlorine loss test passed as it went from 5ppm to 4ppm of FC with CC at 0.5ppm for both readings in a 9 hour period between 9PM and 6AM. It seems that there is no need to SLAM.
    Can someone verify that I need to keep my FC level at 8ppm with my CYA at 70? It seems high. Also my daily K-1000 chlorine test that came with the TS-100 test kit does not go that high. Does that mean that I have to use the FAS/DPD test daily?
    Thanks for you help !
    You have just discovered one of the pitfalls of maintaining a pool with high CYA -- the chlorine testing.

Yes, you'll need to use the FAS-DPD every day for a while. Eventually, you'll know pretty much what results you'll see before you test, and at that point you can just dump in the usual amount and test every other day. Your minimum FC is 5, so you target 8 so it stays above 5 until the next time you test and add. Eventually, you'll also be able to just glance at the OTO test and ensure you're above the highest reading and add the usual.

You've reached a new level of intimacy with your pool chemistry. Don't rush the relationship, take the time to get to know it through frequent testing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you all for your help! I'll keep an eye on the FC for the next few weeks to keep it between 5-8ppm. I only had to add 46 oz this morning (12.5% Cl) as it had drifted down to 6.5ppm since my last Cl addition. Next season I'll try to lower the CYA.

What are your thoughts on using a solar cover with that much chlorine in the water?

Thanks again!

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ixp9276 View Post
    Thank you all for your help! I'll keep an eye on the FC for the next few weeks to keep it between 5-8ppm. I only had to add 46 oz this morning (12.5% Cl) as it had drifted down to 6.5ppm since my last Cl addition. Next season I'll try to lower the CYA.

What are your thoughts on using a solar cover with that much chlorine in the water?

Thanks again!
    It's no big deal. The actual aggressive chlorine is less than you're allowed in tap water with no CYA in it. That's why you can step in wearing a colored swimsuit and not step out in a white one. I've swam around underwater with my eyes open in 20 FC before. CYA was over 200, so it was no problem.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

agreed Richard. im at CYA of 60 with FC at 11 currently. I can swim and open my eyes in the water, no burning. pH is at 7.5
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

12. Back To Top    #12

Thanks Richard, Danin. I'll put the solar cover back on and try to warm up the pool. The water temp has been around 70F - a bit chili but feels good to get in with such clear water now!

Thanks

Ivan