Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to TFP. Wanted to share my pool and upgrades!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool New to TFP. Wanted to share my pool and upgrades!!

Hello all at TFP. I was intrigued by this site to help with my pool issues. I recently upgraded my pool to a 1 1/2 Hp pool pump, 19" sand filter, and a in-line chlorinator with a side wall skimmer added. I wanted to share my construction and upgrades for all to see. If there are any questions on how I did this please ask. I also ran power to the pump outside for convenience since the chlorinator and pump need to be plugged in. Thanks TFP for all the help and advice I read through the numerous posts.

Having trouble uploading the video I made of the design. Go to YouTube if interested in seeing it. My page name is J Potsey.
    Photos were added so that you can see the results.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex 52" x 22' Above ground Ultra Frame Pool. Upgraded to a 1 1/2 Hp Swimline pool pump pushing 2400 gph, 19" Sand Master sand filter, Intex SWG (salt system with E.C.O ( Electrocatalytic Oxidation)). All plumbing converted to 1 1/2 hard and soft pvc. Side wall skimmer attached for a single intake with three returns. One return being a 10 jet fountain (idea from one of the members).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to TFP. Wanted to share my pool and upgrades!!

Hi!
    Welcome to TFP!

Thats a pretty nice set up you have there. Im sure quite a few folks will be checking this out!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

You scared me. When I read "and a in-line chlorinator with a side wall skimmer added" I was afraid it was a puck feeder! The lingo here for what you have is SWG.

You haven't learned the secret code to embed youtube videos yet?

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome! That's a nice setup!!
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP! Nice job on the upgrades - looks great!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Dave, it took a lot of work, but well worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Richard, I am new. I will get used to it.
    Intex 52" x 22' Above ground Ultra Frame Pool. Upgraded to a 1 1/2 Hp Swimline pool pump pushing 2400 gph, 19" Sand Master sand filter, Intex SWG (salt system with E.C.O ( Electrocatalytic Oxidation)). All plumbing converted to 1 1/2 hard and soft pvc. Side wall skimmer attached for a single intake with three returns. One return being a 10 jet fountain (idea from one of the members).

7. Back To Top    #7

HI DAD! I love your name! Welcome to another Florida person!

Nice set up!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Very clean and well thought out. Nice work.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi,
    I have a water tank I'm thinking on use the same pump and filter that you have used. Are you happy with that? I was looking for a salt system but all start at 1000€ but the one that you used start at 150€, can you confirm that it is Sistema de Cloraao Salina Krystal Clear Intex ate 26.5 m3 56010 ? For how long are you using it? How my time per day do you have the pump working?

Thank you

10. Back To Top    #10

Hello metRo;

I am very happy with the setup. i was adding chlorine to the pool avery two to three days because it would turn color. Poor circulation and the filter pump that came with the pool was way too small. The chlorinator is an Intex Saltwater System with E.C.O (Electrocataytic Oxidation). I bought in on Amazon for roughly $99.00. It works great. It has a sensor in it to add salt if needed. It's been installed for three weeks and no salt needed yet. I do shock the pool once a week or two as suggested by some of the forums here. Looks great and the pump keeps heavy water flow out of the jets. Here is a link to the Intex Chlorinator that I purchased. Amazon.com: Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools: Patio, Lawn Garden

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP! I noticed that you mention you shock your pool once a week I your last post. Do you use bag shock or Bleach?

If you follow the TFP methods, there is no need to shock you pool as long as you keep your chemicals balanced. I may have missed it, but what do you have to test with. I recommend getting a recommended test kit.

Also with you SWG beware you may get a low salt alarm. If you do check and clean the electrolyte cell before adding any salt. If the cell is dirty you will get a low salt reading.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by 3anddad View Post
    Hello metRo;

I am very happy with the setup. i was adding chlorine to the pool avery two to three days because it would turn color. Poor circulation and the filter pump that came with the pool was way too small. The chlorinator is an Intex Saltwater System with E.C.O (Electrocataytic Oxidation). I bought in on Amazon for roughly $99.00. It works great. It has a sensor in it to add salt if needed. It's been installed for three weeks and no salt needed yet. I do shock the pool once a week or two as suggested by some of the forums here. Looks great and the pump keeps heavy water flow out of the jets. Here is a link to the Intex Chlorinator that I purchased. Amazon.com: Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools: Patio, Lawn Garden
    Can you recall where you saw the bolded recommendation? I don't think you read that on troublefreepool.com. Most of us here take great pride that we've never had to shock our pool. Five years without algae, 365 days a year open for me. Just because I maintain the proper FC level for my CYA. Even when I started and was stuck with 240 CYA and harsh water restrictions. I don't mean to be a nitpicker, but a weekly "shock" is pool store philosophy, not ours. Would you go to a Chevy forum and suggest someone buy a Ford?

As for video embedding, it's square bracket youtube squarebracket the video file number only square bracket slash youtube squarebracket.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the tip. I did know that about the cleaning of the chlorinator cell. No low levels yet. I do test it regularly, all seems fine. I use bag shock when I do shock it. Occasionally i see a slight haze of green when I sweep it, not bad though. My ph is good, chlorine levels are good. I am getting used to the alkalinity though, which seems to be slightly off, runs around 40.

- - - Updated - - -

Richard320;
    I apologize for the comment about the shock. I look at this site a lot and may of thought it came from here. Thanks for the tip on embedding.

14. Back To Top    #14

What is the new pump model?
    4800G - AG

15. Back To Top    #15

I have a Swimline 19" Sandmaster filter and pump pushing 2400 gph.

16. Back To Top    #16

I so want to add a wall skimmer to my intex pool. But I'm so afraid.....

17. Back To Top    #17

Awesome Job, Looks awesome. I'll be buying that SWG at some point for my pool!
    Lomart 18x48 AGP 7000Gal
    Hayward S210T w/Hayward 1hp Power-Flo Matrix Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 w/Speedstir!

18. Back To Top    #18

jennyblue60,

It is a little intimidating at first. Just be sure that the pool has been filled for at least a few months to give the pool sides time to stretch out. I used to gasket that came with my skimmer as the template for the cut. After that is was super easy. Just cut slowly with a sharp utility knife and take your time. That cut will make or break you.