Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex rusted horizontal beam

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex rusted horizontal beam

Any suggestions on a quick fix until I can get replacements from intex or make my own from metal conduit (replacement will involve drainage of pool). I was going to tape them with gorilla tape or screw a support metal plate into existing beam and t section.

When pool is full, do these horizontal beams provide much support. It one broke, would pool collapse?

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Intex 15X48 metal frame - 4400 gallons - 8 years old!
    Intex SWG / Pump (sanitation) / Hayward pump (sand filter & heater)
    Hayward skimmer / Hayward Propane Heater 100,000 BTU / Hayward S144T Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex rusted horizontal beam

Is only one spot rusted through?
    21' NEW YORKER II 54" DEEP AGP Private Label MORADA RTR WILBAR Aluminum wall
    Hard Bottom and 1/4" Floor Pad 1/8" Wall Foam Well Water Perma 2500 Unibead liner King Technology Pool Chlorine Feeder HAYWARD Diver Dave cleaner
    Waterway 22″ Sand Filter 1.5 HP Center Discharge Pump Single speed Wide Mouth skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I had one rust through like that once. No, it won't collapse immediately. But you need to support it somehow. I wrapped it with duct tape. You could also wrap a sturdy piece of thin metal or something in there with it to serve as a splint.

But get the replacement ordered. Don't rely on this long term.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

4. Back To Top    #4

Three ends are bad on a 15 foot Intex metal frame pool. This winter I grinded the rust off lightly and repainted with rust white paint. I think taking the rust off weakend them significantly.
    Hayward skimmer / Hayward Propane Heater 100,000 BTU / Hayward S144T Sand Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Does anyone know what the thickness of the standard intex pipe is. I'm thinking of picking up some 15/8 fence rail, drilling two holes, and painting with white rust paint...

6. Back To Top    #6

for a quick fix I would go to auto parts store and choose the smallest diameter muffler clamp and install,and wrap with gorilla tape
    16 'x 48" Metal Frame Intex 5065 gallons, 14 Inch sand filter,Hayward Skimmer SP1091LX Dynaskim, Test Kit TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, you have another thread where your 8 year old liner is failing. This thread shows that your 8 year old frame if failing.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But it this pool is going to keep failing here, and failing there. Dont buy a new liner and new frame parts... Buy a new pool!

Look at it as a chance to upgrade! I bought my 18x48 ultraframe for under $450. You already have all the extra accessories that make these pools end up costing a lot more than the initial price like upgraded filter and such...
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

8. Back To Top    #8

Made new horizontal beams today. Better than intex. Use fence rail as it is painted and cheap.

Patched my little leak. I am hesitant to buy another as my liner is all cut perfectly for additions.

image.jpg

image.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

I am inclined to agree with Scuba_Steve, BUT... I love your fix and I am pleased to know these things can last 8 years! LOL

I was thinking probably 3 hoping for 5. Looks like I should be able to pull off the 5 jsut fine. my problem won't be rust, it will be sun rot on the vinyl on the top edge. I need to find a cheap but decent looking fix for that. that also repels bees. now that would be PERFECT!
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

My space is very limited so I cant get a bigger one, and other than the rusted horizontals it is pretty good. The seam itself wasn't leaking in the end. When I emptied pool to fix beams, I found a leak in the centre of the floor - patched both sides and good as gold... Anyhow, for others, the fencing rails are a good fix while waiting for replacements from Intex. For me, I'll leave it like this.. the green standard fencing rail actually looks pretty good.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a 7 or 8 yr old ultra frame 16x48 and need to repair or replace the beams at least 7 of them. The best part is they are discontinued. Whats the best repair or replacement idea????