Sunledge question

kissem

Jun 6, 2015
south shore/Ma
Hi all! New pool owner and new poster would like some advice. I have just started the process of installing an 18x36 freeform pool. I've asked the PB to install a sunledge which will be roughly 10' in diameter. He is trying to convince me to put the ledge as the second step. I have read many posts and blogs and it seems to be the consensus to put it on the first step which is what I want. It will mostly be used for toddlers and will also have a bubbler. I've read the bubbler will be nonfunctional if it's on the second step. He is claiming that because the water is so shallow, he can't guarantee that the freezing water here in Ma. won't damage the plaster during the winter. He wants me to sign a waiver stating that he won't be held responsible for any damage which I am hesitant to do. I also wanted an umbrella holder in the ledge but he has said that, again, the freezing water may cause the plastic holder to crack upon freeze expansion. He said that a number of his customers put an umbrella with a stand on the ledge which may make more sense because of the "poke in the eye" hazard of the lowered umbrella. Thoughts?

I will post the info on my pool later. I'm at work now and I've found as I get older my memory gets worse so I had to ask the question when it popped in my head.

Welcome to TFP! Hang in there Kissem, others will reply shortly who have good experience with your climate change and contractors who try to enforce specific tactics on the customer. Hope you find resolution soon. Glad to have you aboard. :wave:

Kissem, please PM me the name of your pool builder. We are in MA and break ground on our pool Monday. We have an 11'x8' sun ledge as the first step. PB says he's done them this way before, didn't say anything about freezing issues. How would the sun ledge be any different than a first step in regards to frezing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.