Transformer Connections

Something does not look right to me if the conduits go where you say they do. I am going to assume the arrow on the "sub" is pointing in the wrong direction and the wording should say "from Subpanel". It looks to me like the hot feed from the Sub is not feeding the transformer. Can you verify that the left side conduits go to and come from the pool and sub panels as you have them indicated?

The other two conduits are the low volt side of the transformer and look correct. "to pool" (blue/White) is going to the pool light? The Black/blue wire connection should be fixed though as there should not be any bare wire sticking out from under the wire nut. Tape is not an option here.

Did someone work in this or or change something?

Something does not look right to me if the conduits go where you say they do. I am going to assume the arrow on the "sub" is pointing in the wrong direction and the wording should say "from Subpanel".

I was referring to the wiring connections in the box and trying to indicate where those wires went when connected which is why it says "To Subpanel". Here is a wider annotate pic. Could you tell me what that little box is next to the question marks please?

SAM_6616 aNNOTATED.jpg

It looks to me like the hot feed from the Sub is not feeding the transformer. Can you verify that the left side conduits go to and come from the pool and sub panels as you have them indicated?
Please see pictures above...hopefully that answers your question.
The other two conduits are the low volt side of the transformer and look correct. "to pool" (blue/White) is going to the pool light?
Actually, I don't know if that one is going specifically to the pool light as there are two outbound items going down into the ground so that was just my guess.
The Black/blue wire connection should be fixed though as there should not be any bare wire sticking out from under the wire nut. Tape is not an option here.
Thanks. I noted that bare wire needing a new nut in my initial post.
Did someone work in this or or change something?
The wire nuts were cracking and falling off so I was replacing them but not paying enough attention to the connections.My bad, I know... The old wire nuts were more heavy duty types with a larger piece of metal inside. Are these the waterproof variety? Just wondered if the generic nuts work okay for this. Appreciate your help! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP!
Thanks!

How could we possibly know what all those wires are for and how they should be connected? That is just no where near enough information.

Sorry....perhaps this picture will help.

SAM_6616 aNNOTATED.jpg

The little box looks like a standard junction box. When you replaced the wire nuts did you do them one at a time or did you pull the whole thing apart then rewire it?. I guess the question that should be asked, is everything working properly?

The little box looks like a standard junction box. When you replaced the wire nuts did you do them one at a time or did you pull the whole thing apart then rewire it?. I guess the question that should be asked, is everything working properly?

Well...rather stupidly I took them all off instead of one at a time thus the question. Thx.

So somewhere you have a light switch involved, correct?
Correct. Hopefully this pic helps. Thanks.
SAM_6638%20Pool%20Light%20Switch%20Conduit_zps2icnfty4.jpg~original

Hey all the green ground wires look good. LOL. So what color wires do you have at the switch? My guess is the conduit on the left side is the light switch. Right side conduit is the pool light. Open the junction box on the right and see what's in there. The pool lights wires are usually all bundled together in a, sometimes orange, insulator. Sort like an orange extension cord.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll give you may 2 cents. First a disclaimer: I have a decent knowledge of home electric BUTTTT... I am NOT an electrician.

As I see your setup, you have power coming into a box you call the subpanel. This sends a feed to the Timer which controls and powers your pump. A second feed goes to the transformer. this enters the transformers junction box on the left. The wires from the subpanel are connected to the input lines for the transformer. The diagram on the transformer says 120V. So we will assume this is 120V. The transformer input appears correct. The 120V from the subpanel also appears to be connected to another set of wires which exit the junction box via the conduit on the bottom left.

On the right side of the transformer junction box you have 2 black wires exiting the transformer. Based on the diagram this is 12V AC. This is connected to wires that exit the junction box through the conduit on the right.

The Green ground wires appear correct.

You have an exposed blue wire on the right. It is probably just 12V but FIX IT! just on principle.

So It looks wired correctly.

The only question is where do the 120V (black blue) on the left and the 12V (blue white) on the right go.

Finally a general comment not directly aimed at you twotix. Electricity can kill you. If you don't know what you are doing, get someone who does. If you decide to try it anyhow. ALWAYS... ALWAYS turn the power off at the circuit panel before touching anything.

Hey all the green ground wires look good. LOL. So what color wires do you have at the switch? My guess is the conduit on the left side is the light switch. Right side conduit is the pool light. Open the junction box on the right and see what's in there. The pool lights wires are usually all bundled together in a, sometimes orange, insulator. Sort like an orange extension cord.
Thanks! Here are pics of the junction box and light switch (Couldn't get cover off as screws were rusted and stripped).

SAM_6914%20Junction%20Box%20Open_zpswoecqw9x.jpg~original

SAM_6917%20Junction%20Box%20Annotated_zpsmriiuzas.jpg~original

SAM_6923%20POOL%20LIGHT%20CONDUIT_zps5unoald8.jpg~original

SAM_6941%20CORNER_zpslvwqxafc.jpg~original

SAM_6931%20LIGHT%20SWITCH_zpsglwn5okg.jpg~original

- - - Updated - - -

I'll give you may 2 cents. First a disclaimer: I have a decent knowledge of home electric BUTTTT... I am NOT an electrician.

You have an exposed blue wire on the right. It is probably just 12V but FIX IT! just on principle.

So It looks wired correctly.

The only question is where do the 120V (black blue) on the left and the 12V (blue white) on the right go.

Thanks so much! Please see pics just posted. Also fixed that wire nut. :)

SAM_6922%20REPAIRED%20WIRE%20NUT_zps5j3dev49.jpg~original

TwoTix... What does or does not work? As it is wired now and with the additional info you gave it looks like everything is wired OK. It looks like the left lower conduit coming from the transformer box is the switch leg that controls power to the transformer and the lower right conduit feeds low volt power to the pool light. in the lower junction box... I agree, that is probably the wet nitch bond wire in there. The cord assembly going down from that junction box looks like a pool light cable (or and orange extension cord). For the most part everything looks to be in good order.

TwoTix... What does or does not work? As it is wired now and with the additional info you gave it looks like everything is wired OK. It looks like the left lower conduit coming from the transformer box is the switch leg that controls power to the transformer and the lower right conduit feeds low volt power to the pool light. in the lower junction box... I agree, that is probably the wet nitch bond wire in there. The cord assembly going down from that junction box looks like a pool light cable (or and orange extension cord). For the most part everything looks to be in good order.
Haven't reconnected the power to see as I was concerned it was wired correctly. Thanks for all your assistance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.