Pool pump leaking oil?

Mar 27, 2009
Sacramento, CA
A few days ago, I noticed that there is some kind of oil coming from the back side of the motor. I see an oil stain on the concrete right below. Is the motor going bad? I took the cap off and I can't seem to locate the leak. I will take a picture tomorrow.

The only oil I can think of in a pump would be the grease in the sealed bearings. If it's leaking out, then it would be on the downhill slope. Listen for the bearings to begin getting loud and or the pump getting very hot.

yup.
The bearings are sealed and packed with grease. If the seal is broken the grease will leak out.

If you dont let it get too far, you can replace the bearings if you're handy, or take the pump to a motor repair shop and they can replace them.

Do you have a spa? The pump is pretty big for just a pool. Might be a good time to downsize and go with a two speed.

Replace the gasket? That would be leaking water, not oil. Are you sure it isn't water that is leaking?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.