New Solar cover from SolarCovers.com

guytimes

LifeTime Supporter
May 17, 2015
Louisville, KY
Ordered a New Solar cover from SolarCovers.com two days ago. They shipped it SAME DAY and I got it today.

It appears that SolarCovers.com is the same as LeisureLiving.com and poolsupplies.com.

Solar1.jpg

I got it cut pretty easily with some regular household scissors and it looks great:

Solar2.jpg

I got the 16MIL CLEAR SOLAR COVER with free shipping. Very pleased so far.

My pool has been losing about 4 degrees over night. Tonight the pool is 86, so we will see what it is in the morning.

I just installed the 12mil clear from the same company. Hoping this will prevent a lot of evaporation. I was a little disappointed that the bubbles did not look anything like the enlarged pic online.

My 15'x30' was oversized, but not by much. Maybe 6-8" on each dimension.

Were the dimensions of the 18x36 just that or did that oversize it?

Sorry I did not measure it. My pool is about 37 x 15 so I laid it on top of the pool and then cut to fit.

Cover looks great. How do you plan on removing it and covering it back up each time? Did you get a reel, if so which one and how is it working for you?

Good question. I did not get a reel because I really don't have a good place for one. We've tried the "roll it up" technique and that doesn't work. We've tried folding it like a towel and that seems to work the best.

After a week of having the cover, I don't feel like it really warms up the water more (over NOT having a cover) during the day. This is just my observation, I don't have real data to support that opinion. But it definitely keeps the heat in over night. Only losing about 3 degrees per night. With no cover, lost about 5 degrees per night. Two degrees doesn't seem like a big difference but 84 is oh so much nicer than 82 :)

If anyone has a good "technique" for putting on and taking off a solar cover, I would like to hear it.

I've also ordered from SolarCovers.com and found out it was LeisureLiving.com. However, if I remember right, the shipping policy is better if you order from SolarCovers.com (free shipping with not too much of a purchase).

I've tried several things to take solar covers on/off and don't like any of them. This year I'm trying a chemical cover from SolarCovers.com. I really should measure my overnight heat loss, but I didn't measure the old covers, so I have no comparison.

I have found that clear covers when put on my pool and left on heated up water very quickly, but also aided in growth of algae when left on for long period of time! 7-10 days...even when bringing chlorine up to as high as 18 ppm before going on vacation. Never had this issue
With blue covers. Going back to that.

I found that cutting the covers up into about eight pieces really makes it easy to remove and install the cover by one person. Paint large numbers on them so as to be able to reinstall them in the correct order. I hung them on the fence and covered with white plastic when not on the pool. The only bad part was if the wind blew really hard it would flip over a couple of the pieces, but that wasn't a big as we don't have much wind where I live.

skeeter

Sorry I did not measure it. My pool is about 37 x 15 so I laid it on top of the pool and then cut to fit.

Good question. I did not get a reel because I really don't have a good place for one. We've tried the "roll it up" technique and that doesn't work. We've tried folding it like a towel and that seems to work the best.

After a week of having the cover, I don't feel like it really warms up the water more (over NOT having a cover) during the day. This is just my observation, I don't have real data to support that opinion. But it definitely keeps the heat in over night. Only losing about 3 degrees per night. With no cover, lost about 5 degrees per night. Two degrees doesn't seem like a big difference but 84 is oh so much nicer than 82 :)

If anyone has a good "technique" for putting on and taking off a solar cover, I would like to hear it.

Hey there, I have the exact same cover from the same company, purchase original one in 2011 but after last year bubbles were coming apart and I put a hole in it a couple seasons ago, last year it was no longer heating the pool that much. I decided to buy a new one this year and was able to get a discount from them. I have had great experience with temperature on my pool, it got really really warm with the solar cover on during the day, had in the high 90s on couple occasions. My biggest concern was lose of water due to evaporation during the night which this solar cover completely eliminated. I also purchased a reel form them and I also have a free form pool like you. As soon as I get my cover on I will take pictures to show you (I am still opening the pool and shocking). But basically its a roll up a reel and it stands about 4-5 feet from the edge on deep end, has some cover on both sides on the reel. Very easy to roll up the cover that way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.