Any experience with either of these solar cover reels? Looking to purchase soon...

Mar 16, 2014
California
I've been searching around this forum for a good solar reel. I was initially going to go with the DIY model by following the tips provided by mas985, and I still might go that route, but I'm also interested in a couple of the traditional wind-up models. I've seen plenty of recommendations for Rocky's, but haven't seen a lot of detail about why they are worth triple the price (or more) of models similar to these two:

http://www.solarcovers.com/product/easy-gear-stainless-steel-cover-reel-up-to-16-wide

http://www.solarcovers.com/product/solar-cover-reels/above-ground-in-ground-rectangular-pools/stainless-steel-reel/stainless-steel-solar-reel-for-pools-up-to-16-ft-wide

I've seen other forum members with these models, and it would be great to hear about anyone's experience with them. I was specifically looking for reels that have a higher ground clearance because there is a diving rock at the end of the pool where the reel would be located.

I'm open to any other suggestions as well!

Thanks,

ehuesman (Eric)

Last edited:
I inherited my pool and solar cover reel when i purchased my home in 2011. It is an odessy. The one mainframe (foot) was broken and the previous owner made something out of wood and nails. End of last season, the other one broke. So, this year I started looking for a replacement. I, however, did not need the reel itself, just the mainframe. I had a lot of trouble finding just the mainframe. So, found a number for odessy. The gentleman I spoke with asked me to take photos and email them to him. He called me back within 10 mins. Now my reason for this long post... He stated "we haven't made that model in over 20 years." I was able to purchase just the mainframe kit (everything except the reel) and use my old reel. I have a 16 x 32 16mil cover and it is easy to reel in with one person and I don't see any sagging. (again, this is with my reel that is over 20 years old, so I can't speak for the quality of a new reel).
It may not clear your rock, but it has casters, and with my thick cover, there is still about 2" from the ground to the cover. Maybe there would be more with a 12mil or 8mil cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.