Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is why we say "Its not safe to swim if you can't see the bottom"

1. Back To Top    #1

This is why we say "Its not safe to swim if you can't see the bottom"

Every year we help hundreds of people turn their pools from swamp to sparkling. Yes, it takes time. Maybe a few days, maybe a few weeks. Every pool is different. Every algae outbreak is different. We know its hot, you want to swim, the kids are nagging you to swim. Your chlorine is holding and you can see a couple of steps but its still a little murky. It looks sooo much better, surely its safe enough, right? WRONG!

Boy hospitalized in critical condition after near drowning | News - Home

Listen to how they describe what happened in the report. Two deadly mistakes occured at this party. One was allowing anyone, much less children, to swim in that murky mess. Two, did you catch it? NO ADULT SUPERVISION! The kids had to go inside to find an adult to pull the child out of the pool!

If you learn nothing else from TFP please learn this, never let kids swim without an adult poolside, and never let a child (or adult) swim in a pool when you can't see the bottom.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: This is why we say "Its not safe to swim if you can't see the bottom"

How sad to see this.

3. Back To Top    #3

Some people you just can't explain I guess..................
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Look at that pool. You're having a party for children.

It needed to be crystal clear!!!

Please guys, we are not being mean or nasty, if your pool is cloudy, it is unswimmable!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

No one should have been swimming in that cesspool. This child is in our prayers.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for sharing that link @zea3!

I have three young boys and I am fanatical about keeping the swimming safe. I always tell people who ask about pool safety and don't feel likes it a big deal that you only get your child once, there's no bringing them back. SO what do you care more about, spending a few extra bucks on pool safety or your kid's life! Gates & fences to code, self-latching fence doors, locks on gates, swimming lessons, etc, etc. I even have all doors in the house alarmed so I know when my kid goes outside and every door in the house leading outside has a dead-bolt 30" down from the top of the door. Only my 10 year old can reach that one and he knows NEVER to go near the pool without mom or dad around to watch.

Sad and crazy that stuff like this has to keep happening....
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

It's amazing how many people on Facebook post pictures of their kids swimming in green, murky pools. I can't stand the thought of it. I guess OCD can be a good thing sometimes. If my test results aren't perfect, no one gets in our pool.
    AG 18' X 52" Round Pacifica Pool w/ Metal Diamond Unibead Liner. Installed in March 2007.
    2.5 HP Baquapure 2 Speed Pump, 200 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System.

Former Baquacil user
    Converted to BBB in Fall of 2009 - Now I have a truly trouble free pool!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha_in_AL View Post
    It's amazing how many people on Facebook post pictures of their kids swimming in green, murky pools. I can't stand the thought of it. I guess OCD can be a good thing sometimes. If my test results aren't perfect, no one gets in our pool.

I am so with you on that! I just watched the video and seriously, what the h-e-double hockey sticks were those people thinking letting the kids swim in that disgusting cesspool?!?!

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

Its great to see that you guys promote safety so strongly. As a paramedic I cant even begin to explain the accidents I have responded to over the years. Some people just don't realize the everyday dangers around them and their family. 90+ percent of the accidents I have seen without a doubt, could have been prevented! Kids especially just do not comprehend the dangers associated with pools and water. ALL kids and a lot of adults will benefit from education and rules when near any water sources. Posted signs are helpful, it is a good reminder. Alarms and fences for pools are great and should be required, you never know when a visiting child or neighbor may want to explore that fun looking pool. Supervision is especially paramount with all new swimmers and guest. A rescue device hanging near the pool would help. Swim lessons are a very good idea for all new swimmers. We made sure our kids had swim lessons early since we owned a pool and also because our neighbors have pools. Anytime friends come over to play I want to know how well can they swim. We explain our "house" rules and we SUPERVISE. The best thing I can recommend is that education is the key! Everyone wants a pool to be fun not a tragedy.

- - - Updated - - -

Also we keep our pool clean, sanitized, and healthy!
    20,000 gal. 27' AGP
    Hayward 18" sand filter with 1 hp Hayward Matrix pump
    A convinced BBB user and TFP fan

10. Back To Top    #10

The worst example I've seen is the woman in Boston who drowned in a public pool, but nobody knew about it until her body floated to the surface two days later. So people were swimming around a dead body for two days!!!!!!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/massachuset...ry?id=13968518

I actually feel the need to apologize for posting this distasteful and sad story.
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex

11. Back To Top    #11

Absolutely unbelievable anyone would let their child swim in that nasty looking pool!

Heartbreaking.......
    20k IG vinyl liner/Aqua Rite SWCG, T-15 cell/Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter/Polaris 280 with booster pump/Hayward Superpump 1 hp/city water/pool installed March 2004

12. Back To Top    #12

When this was on the news the other night, I called my daughter into the room. I wanted to reiterate our rules (I didn't need to, but she's only 7 and a reminder never hurts) and why we made them regarding the pool. I also wanted her to see and hear it for herself, that kids (and adults) do drown, and it can happen in the blink of an eye.

Our rules for her are simple - if she is in the pool either myself or my wife has to be watching her, and if we have to do something else or go inside even for a minute, she has to get out and wait for us to come back, and absolutely no going in if for some reason we can't see the bottom.

She's been told several times, but it was another chance to drive that point home. This is why we have those rules. If we aren't watching, then if something happens we probably can't get to her in time. And if we can't see the bottom, we may not know anything is wrong until it's too late. Especially as much time as she spends underwater! She's a very good swimmer, especially for her age. But you just never know...

Btw, these rules also apply anywhere else she swims. An adult we trust has to be watching her, and if their pool isn't up to our standards, no swimming. If they get their feelings hurt over why we won't let her in...too bad.
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

13. Back To Top    #13

My friend had a fresh air kid up from NYC and we were sitting beside the pool while they swam. I was watching her and something didnt look right. Turns out she was struggling to stay afloat! I asked my friend if she was ok and he jumped in while fully clothed and plucked her out. If we were not right there she would have gone under

21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
    My friend had a fresh air kid up from NYC and we were sitting beside the pool while they swam. I was watching her and something didnt look right. Turns out she was struggling to stay afloat! I asked my friend if she was ok and he jumped in while fully clothed and plucked her out. If we were not right there she would have gone under
    That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! Little ones don't know any better or even care most of the time, WE have to look out for them!
    John

24' round Vogue AGP 12,000 gal. Flotec AT251001-01 1HP pump, Hayward S310T2 sand filter, Aquarite SWG T-15
    TF-100 (found at TF Test Kits) with Speedstir and Samplesizer

15. Back To Top    #15

The other issue is, small children don't drown noisily like you see on TV. They simply slip under the water, and often become motionless from fear.

This happened 10 feet away from me two years ago. A woman was standing at the edge of the pool, chatting with her boyfriend who was in the pool. Then she just happened to look down, and saw her three-year-old daughter motionless under water right in front of her. The girl had been under water for at least 30 seconds before she was noticed. The mom was able to reach in and grab the child's arm and pull her out. Fortunately, the child hadn't inhaled any water, but another 20 seconds and the story might have been very different.
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex

16. Back To Top    #16

It is not just kids that drown silently, the same thing happens to adults, it just takes one slip, a splash of water going up the nose or down the throat wrong to get the ball rolling, and even the best trained swimmers can silently slip below the surface.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    It is not just kids that drown silently, the same thing happens to adults, it just takes one slip, a splash of water going up the nose or down the throat wrong to get the ball rolling, and even the best trained swimmers can silently slip below the surface.
    When we had our incident the girl made no noise at all and at a casual glance it looked like she was playing in the pool. She had bobbed up and down a couple of times and was actually struggling not playing.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

18. Back To Top    #18

Chills..............oh so scary to think how fast it can happen.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

The little boy passed away today. He had been on a ventilator since Friday.

Drowning does not look like what you see on tv or in the movies. Please read this: Drowning Doesnt Look Like Drowning

Watch this: Drowning signs arent like the movies - YouTube

and this: Drowning: The real signs a swimmer is in danger - YouTube
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Wow Sad
    Prayers for that family tonight.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast