Saltwater, chemicals out of whack, cloudy water, algae issues, HELP!

Jun 1, 2015
Mobile, AL
We have an Intex ultra frame 22 x 52 with the Intex saltwater system and sand filter combo (I'd have to go dig for the model, but it's more than sufficient for the 10,500 gallons). Our filter didn't run for about 4 days, due to a power outage and the timer getting reset. Just enough time for algae to form :( We have managed to vacuum out most all of the algae at this point and are trying to get the chemicals balanced again. I have checked the water 2 different ways and will give both sets of #'s. I just don't know what to do next. My husband put in some Clorox saltwater shock and the water got very cloudy and had some foam on top, not bad. It has cleared up some, since that, but isn't clear. He also added a bag of salt, because the chlorine level wasn't detectable and it still isn't. Any help on what to do next is greatly appreciated!

Intex 3 way strip
FC .5 ppm
pH 6.4
TA 100

Intex copper strip
.7ppm

Poolmaster kit
FC 0
CC 0
pH 8.2
AD 1 drop
TA 5 drops (began to change somewhat at 4 drops today - it took 5 full drops last week, before anything was added to the pool)

Welcome to TFP!

One thing missing from all your test results is a CYA reading. This is a very importation parameter as your chlorine dosage is dependent on the amount of CYA in the water [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. This is one of the reasons why we put so much emphasis on getting one of the Recommended Test Kits. You will need to measure CYA and will need a FAS-DPD chlorine test which all of the recommended test kits contain. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. They ship fast - you should have it in your hands in 2-3 days with normal shipping. Also, this kit will cost way less than randomly dumping in chemicals and hoping for a miracle that will never occur.

Even though we don't know the CYA level, it seems like your pool has insufficient chlorine levels. You will need to do what we call a SLAM Process to eradicate all the algae. This is where the FAS-DPD test comes in handy. You will need it for this process.

My husband put in some Clorox saltwater shock and the water got very cloudy and had some foam on top...
Some kinds of bleach contain added thickeners that will result in bubbles/foaming. I would use plain, unscented liquid bleach without any added thickeners.

Here are some resources to give you an overview of managing your pool using our methods:
1. ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
2. Chlorine CYA Chart
3. Recommended Pool Chemicals
4. Recommended Levels
5. Pool Math

Okay, so here's an update...

I took a sample into the pool store, in order to get clarification on the CYA levels. Here is what it read, as of yesterday.

FC 0
CC 0
Salt 2500
CH 130
CYA 0
TA 70 (my kit always read 50)
pH 7.2
Copper 0 (my strips consistently read .7, but we have no staining, etc, so maybe they were just junk?)
Iron 0
Phosphates 200

Recommended treatment as follows (Leslie product names)

Day 1 add 4.5 lbs Alkalinity Up (my husband put in 4.5 lbs of baking soda last night and it has been on recirculate since then) My kit read 80 today, so 30 more than it did yesterday. Adjusted to the pool store test, it would be at 100. So, I think we are okay here...somewhere between 80-100. The pH is .5 higher than yesterday, however. Is that normal after adding baking soda?
Day 2 add 15 lbs 12 oz Hardness Plus (is this necessary right now or can we do this last?)
Day ? (no time frame for waiting given) Superchlorinate with 6 ozs of Power Powder Plus
Day ? (again, no time frame) add 6 lbs of Leslie's Conditioner (we have purchased a jug of CYA)
3 days later add 6 ozs PHOSfree and check #'s in 48 hrs.
Lastly, add 43 lbs of salt

Just wondering what is necessary and what isn't. Thanks in advance for any help!

- - - Updated - - -

I meant to add that the pool looks good, no discoloration, no visible algae issues. It is ever so slightly cloudy. I purchased Super Blue to clear it up, but haven't added that yet. Don't want to rock the boat ;)

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You are tossing in chemistry and you don't know what the outcome will be. You are relying on Pool Store advice and it notoriously is AWFUL.

You and your husband really should decide who is managing the pool and let one person do it. We hope you would choose to manage it the way we teach but that requires you to stop wasting your money at the pool store.

I suggest you keep reading the thousands of thread in here wherein folks have grasped the concepts and taken charge of managing their own pool. We'll help you learn but you will need the commiment of your own good test kit and a willingness to take the pool store out of the equation and insert yourself firml;y in their place.

Welcome to TFP! Here are some links about how we maintain pools.

It is important to maintain chlorine level above the minimum for your CYA level, Chlorine CYA Chart to sanitize the pool and avoid algae.

Get one of the Recommended Test Kits, I use the TF100 from tftestkits.net

Here are some of my fave Pool School articles in case you missed any of them.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

Here are the Recommended Levels for your pool.
Here are the Recommended Pool Chemicals and how to add them.
Use PoolMath to figure out how much to add.

You don't need any Hardness Plus if you have a vinyl liner pool. Also you do not need PhosFree. What you do need is chlorine, stat! It looks like your pool has been on zero chlorine for a week. Go buy some bleach or liquid chlorine tomorrow and get some in there daily (use Pool Math to calculate how much. Is your chlorine generator working?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.