Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cyanuric Acid Reducer

1. Back To Top    #1

Cyanuric Acid Reducer

For those of you that would prefer not to have to drain and replace your water, I saw a product today available in an Ace Hardware store. A gallon was $40 and I think I recall it stating a reduction of 60ppm per 10,000gal. There was no statement of ingredients, just patent pending.
    20,000 gal. vinyl chlorinated pool
    Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cyanuric Acid Reducer

If it is the same product I am thinking of there are quite a few threads about it in the deep end section here. Most say it doesn't work as well as it is advertised if I remember correctly.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve View Post
    If it is the same product I am thinking of there are quite a few threads about it in the deep end section here. Most say it doesn't work as well as it is advertised if I remember correctly.
    That is correct. So far users who,have tested the product and conducted regular testing using recommended testing procedures were unable,to duplicate the manufacturer claims.

Multiple threads are in the Deep End showing the test results.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Bio-Active is the product I was mentioning. It is a live bacteria that eats CYA. Apparently you need low levels of FC for it to not die. I think most got about a 15-20ppm loss of CYA.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    TF-100
    Helpful Links

5. Back To Top    #5

There was a melamine based product that was discontinued a while back. Perhaps it's that. If you can post a picture, that would help.