Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have carbonation-like bubbles all over the walls of my liner. What causes that?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question I have carbonation-like bubbles all over the walls of my liner. What causes that?

We have had our above-ground pool for 2 years now. This year, I've been trying to do the "Trouble-free method". So far, everything is going along fine as far as chemicals being correct. However, we have bubbles all over the side of the pool. If you're in the pool more than 10 minutes and look down, they are all over you, too! They are like carbonation bubbles from a Coke or something. Do you know what may be causing it?

Water temp 85
    FC 7.0
    CC 7.0
    pH 7.6
    TA 220
    CH 60
    CYA 70
    21' x 54" Above ground pool
    Hayward XStream 150 Cartridge Filter System 1.5-HP Power-Flo Pump
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump and filter

If you ain't swimmin', you ain't livin'!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I have carbonation-like bubbles all over the walls of my liner. What causes that

I know little of chemistry but based on what I could find, it may be the Alkalinity off gassing CO2. Did you add acid recently or anything that says it lowers TA/PH?
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I have carbonation-like bubbles all over the walls of my liner. What causes that

Is you CC:7???

Or is that a typo?
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

What chemicals have you added recently?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Mine does that from time to time. I always attributed it to my SWG. Do you have one?
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree with jeffchap. I also have a SWG and get these tiny bubbles too.
    Intex Ultra Frame 20'x52" pool (10,600 gallons); Sand filter (Model SF80110); Krystal Clear SWG (Model CS8110); AquaBot PoolRover Jr. Pool Cleaner; TF-100 Test Kit with SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have a SWG. And yes, I did add acid about a week ago. I can't remember if that's when the bubbles started.

About my CC being 7, I'm not positive about it. My test kit says to check my FC, which is WAY yelliw, so it's above my measurement line. Then it says to wait 2 minutes and that will ne my measurement for CC. It doesn't change color after 2 minutes... still very yellow.

I'll try to attach pics.

8. Back To Top    #8

sounds like you need a better test kit first thing

I sometimes get wall bubbles when it is really hot outside, cold water holds more gas is all I can think of.
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer

9. Back To Top    #9

I believe it is outgassing as well. The bubbles are probably more likely to form on the walls that face the sun. When the water heats up, the air (O2, N2, CO2) comes out of solution and forms bubbles.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

I hadn't thought about the bubbles being on one side or another, but that's right... they seemed to be on the east side and the sun was starting to go down in the west. I'll have to look at that again! Makes perfect sense!

Here are two pics of my testing. One was taken at 6:01 this afternoon and one was taken at 6:05. Do I need to stop the chlorine for a while? We took off the inline chlorinator because it kept leaking. I am only use a large floater now. Is it possible that my FC can be the same as my CC? I have one of the Poolmaster 5-way test kits.

Attached Images Attached Images
    21' x 54" Above ground pool
    Hayward XStream 150 Cartridge Filter System 1.5-HP Power-Flo Pump
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump and filter

If you ain't swimmin', you ain't livin'!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamchasertx View Post
    I hadn't thought about the bubbles being on one side or another, but that's right... they seemed to be on the east side and the sun was starting to go down in the west. I'll have to look at that again! Makes perfect sense!

Here are two pics of my testing. One was taken at 6:01 this afternoon and one was taken at 6:05. Do I need to stop the chlorine for a while? We took off the inline chlorinator because it kept leaking. I am only use a large floater now. Is it possible that my FC can be the same as my CC? I have one of the Poolmaster 5-way test kits.

The math is
    FC + CC = TC
    TC - FC = CC
    TC - CC = FC

In a perfectly balanced idea-world pool, CC will be zero, so FC and TC should be absolutely identical.

As far as how high is the FC? Good question... With 70 - and constantly rising due to pucks in the floater - CYA, your minimum FC is 5 (and constantly rising due to pucks in the floater) and your target is 8 or so. Oops, your tester makes it kind of hard to tell if that shade is closer to 2 or 5. That's a pretty big jump there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

I would defiantly recommend getting a better test kit. I have the TF-100 with SpeedStir and love it.

Worth every penny!!
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by April View Post
    I would defiantly recommend getting a better test kit. I have the TF-100 with SpeedStir and love it.

Worth every penny!!
    Ditto.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter