Heater not turning on. Still!

Mar 15, 2013
Yucaipa CA
Ok I have a problem with my RayPak RP2100 heater. So far I replaced the transformer and the on off switch. I replaced the on/off switch that was cracked and nothing was coming out the transformer so I replaced that. Now I am getting 24vac at the P6 connector to the control board. When I turn the switch on I now hear a clicking sound like a relay is coming on but I get only a blank screen and nothing happens when I hit any one of the three keys. The pressure switch circuit is closed when the pump is on. I replaced the controller board with the upgrade version about a year ago and it was working fine till it suddenly just quit. I would prefer to not just guess and throw parts at it because that can get expensive real quick. I guess is it might be either a bad display board or a bad control board. Any ideas on how to narrow it down and find out exactly what it is.

skeeter

- - - Updated - - -

Update. I decided to look under the control board to make sure the display connections were good. Everything looked good and when i turned it back on it worked and the heater fired up. I left it on awhile to let it heat up the spa and when I came back out it was off. Gosh darn it! Checking revealed the transformer was no longer putting out 24vac.

Could the control board be causing the transformer to go out? or could I just have gotten a defective transformer?

skeeter

Check all of the incoming wiring from your breaker panel to the heater. If you lost 24v again, something is blowing the transformer. Sounds like a short somewhere. I've never seen a control board take out a transformer. Usually the opposite happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.