FCC - 4-6, shock 24
pH - 7.5-7.8
TA - 60 - 80 (SWG man says 100-120)
CH - 250-350
CYA - 70-80
Borates 50
Salt 3000 - 3500
CSI should be between -/+ 0.6

Other than the big difference in TA suggestions between here and the manual for my SWG, no problem. On the difference, how critical is it, and what should I be using?

When I opened the pool, I run the filter for a few days without doing much to the chemistry - I know that I will be backwashing at least once to get rid of all the winter 'leaf tea' gruck, so don't want to waste the stuff, etc... Turned out to be longer than I was expecting because of rain, but....

Opening test (filter had been running a few days) 6/4
FCC - 0 (OTO test only) (no surprise...)
pH - 8.2
TA - 150
CH - 350
CYA - 20
Borates 20
Salt 2000

Pool calc suggested
85 oz 12% bleach
130 oz muriatic
107 oz CYA
134 lb salt
565 oz borates

added
~ 1 gal bleach
3 gallons muriatic
remaining amount owned of CYA - I'm guessing about 3 lbs.
80 lbs salt
~ 2 boxes borax

6/7
FCC - 5+ oto, 4.5 dpd, cc-0
pH - 6.8
TA - 60
CH - -
CYA - -
Borates - 30
Salt - 2400

suggested
144 oz of borax for pH
377 oz borax + 180 oz muriatic for low borates
80 lbs salt (added 40 lbs)
(need to go buy the borates...)

the big concern is the CSI = -1.15 which is BAD per the pool calc.... How critical is it that I get this dealt with right away? I know that adding borax will bring it back up, and the CYA that I added is still dissolving, so how much of a panic is it?

BTW, this is my first year using the Taylor salt test kit - seems like a very nice test, as it has a really clear end point - goes from yellow to red in one drop... Don't know why more places don't use it.

Gooserider

Our TA level tries to take into account the pH rise that is typically caused by the aeration of the SWG.

I think you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clean up the pool.

You should get the pH back into the 7s ASAP.

Also seems like you are trying to change too much at the same time ... like borates. Forget about them until everything else is balanced.

I too like the Taylor titration salt test :goodjob:

Well it is looking better... I dumped in 4 boxes of borax Saturday morning, :whoot: and that seems to have gotten everything more or less in range. Water is now clear enough to see all the **** on the bottom (I need to make a repair on the pressure line for the robot, and I have to get a pair of 'hands' to do it for me as I can't reach it...

Only thing that is way out is the CYA, which I'm working on, but is slow since it takes so long to dissolve....

Today's numbers:

Borates - 50 (or close - I don't like the strips as they are really difficult to tell the colors apart...:confused:)

FC - 8 (I'm now cutting back on the run times for the pump and SWG, this is what I get with the SWG at 10% and pump on 24/7)

pH - 7.5

TA - 105 (This is within the range that Compupool recommends in the SWG manual, so I'm not going to sweat this to much...)

CH - 325

Salt - 2800 (Low, but the SWG isn't complaining. Haven't decided if I want to add one more bag or not... (Pool calc says 27 lbs))

CSI is -0.28, which is well within the OK range...

I'd call it swimmable at this point, now all we need is something like summer weather....:cool:

ex-Gooserider

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.