Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Burlington, Wa

Im in my 2nd day of slam, the filter needs backwashing, PSI is 10 pounds above avarage, filter housing at pump can only fill halfway with water.

Do I leave it because a dirty filter cleans better or backwash to get more water flow?

Thanks wgcole
    22,000 Inground, 8' deep,Diving board,Slide,Tagelus Deluxe TA-60D, 3/4 HP pump, Teledyne Laars 250,000 BTU Heater, Heliotrope General Model HM4000A Heating Collectors

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Backwash

You should always backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure ... waiting for a 10 psi rise is way too long.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Backwash

We don't know what your normal pressure is, but we recommend backwashing when it goes up 25%. I seriously doubt your filter runs above 40 psi normally. So it's time to backwash.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!