Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I add DE to my Cart filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Should I add DE to my Cart filter?

I read somewhere that after I replaced my cartridges (4) I was supposed to add a small amount of DE. It was in the PDF manual, I think.
    Is this something I should do? Where would I get a small amount of it? Whenever I see it it's in big buckets or bags.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Should I add DE to my Cart filter?

never read that before. DE is for sand filters
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

It is entirely possible that I have gotten a few things mixed up in my mind. I have been reading so much about pool stuff that I am starting to get it all cross threaded.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a cart filter and it clears up the water really really well. not sure why you would ever need to add DE to a cart filter.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

Some cartridge filter manuals do in fact say you can optionally add a little DE to help filter the water. But I agree that generally cartridges have no problem doing that without the help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I can see the pores in the filter material. So I would think that's as small as it can clean up.