Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this?

We recently purchased a home with a pool from a seller who had already relocated to another state. We don't have much info about the pool, other than what we've been told by a pool man who maintained the pool for a few weeks after the seller had already moved away. We're just having to learn as we go.

The other day I noticed this part in the side wall of the shallow end. It's at about the same height on the wall as the return jets. I'm just wondering what this is, and what it's for.

Thanks!
    23,000 gal. IG gunite pool, DE filter, elevated spa with spillover, Polaris 280 cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this?

Could be a return jet that was accidentally left sealed after a winter closing. (although given your location in TX maybe not)

Could have been a dedicated suction or pressure line for a cleaner.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It may help to post a photo of the plumbing.

My pool has a dedicated return for a Polaris cleaner. The return is controlled by a Jandy valve.
    Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a mystery fitting in my pool that I assume connects to the mystery pipe which is capped near my pad. I think it went to a cleaner at some point in the past. I find it a good spot to tie the thermometer to.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

We do have a Polaris cleaner currently running, and it's plugged into a connection that's just about at the halfway point between the shallow and deep ends.
    23,000 gal. IG gunite pool, DE filter, elevated spa with spillover, Polaris 280 cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Does it have a metal rod in the center? We have two that were put in for a shallow deep end floating line to hook into. Never have used ours.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

7. Back To Top    #7

No, but I know what you're talking about. We have those, too, and they're elsewhere in the pool. This just appears to be two horizontal protruding lines, like a raised equal symbol.

8. Back To Top    #8

That is just a cap that screws into the pipe fitting. We were guessing what the pipe was for.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Maybe it's a cap for a return, then. That's the only segment of pool wall that doesn't have a return. I wonder why it would have been capped? I'm afraid to try to open it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I had one that was left capped like that after a replaster by accident.

I also have one that looks like a return, but turns out it used to be a suction line for a separate waterfall pump that was capped underground. I connected it to my main pump and now use it as a dedication suction cleaner line.
    Jason, TFP Moderator