Am I missing any decisions?

Jun 3, 2015
Dallas. TX
We are meeting with the first PB tomorrow and want to have an idea of what we want before meeting with the first PB that way we can get a quote from multiple PB's for the same exact work. We have started a list of items we will need to select...can you help us think of anything else?

System:
Chlorine

Depth:
Shallow (Stairs) 4 ft.
Middle 5 ft.
Deep 6 ft.

Pool Type:
Concrete

Shape:
Geometric – Rectangle

Size:
16 x 32 – Probably smaller

Style:
Modern & Contemporary

Color of Plaster:
Pacific Ocean Blue

Waterline Tile:
Choose from selection at builders design center

Pool Lighting:
Yes – LED - White

Filter:
Cartridge – One or Two? Depending on volume (gal)

Pump:
Variable or 2 Speed?

Shade Structure:
Tied into home’s roof, cedar framing/posts, match pitch and shingles, full gutters, bring in electrical from attic to supply ceiling fan, appliance and single dual gang outlet.

Kitchen:
Provide countertop with stone surround, leave outs for BBQ (propane) & Mini-Refrigerator (Appliance by owner). Stone and countertop to be standard selection.

Fireplace:
Provide stone fireplace surround at end of shade structure, fireplace box by owner. Stone to be per standard selection.

Coping:
Standard Concrete. Pool to have small retaining wall (matching kitchen/fireplace stone) / raised edge around ¾ of pool perimeter – not on side of entry/stairs. Flatwork to be standard concrete and finish.

Pool Cleaner:
Polaris Automatic

Pool Cover:
Automatic

I also provided my VERY ROUGH idea to show the PB so they can see the layout we are wanting.

Want to make the most of the meeting tomorrow and make sure we have everything in order.

Anything else?

Last edited:
A couple thoughts .. others may differ .. but:
- Do some searching on this site (forum) about variable versus 2-speed pumps. Both have their place, but sometimes for a basic set-up, I think you get a better value and economy (electric usage) from a 2-speed. I'm pretty sure I read that more than once here, but you may want to search a little on your own.
- LED lights; consider just asking what they offer "first" instead of just settling for white. Our LED light system came automatically with a variety of colors (including white) so we can let them cycle through all the colors like a rainbow, or pick ANY of those colors and keep it there stationary.

Of course when all is said and done ... get what YOU want. Its' your pool and you want to be happy with no regrets. Hope it all goes well for you. :)

Thanks for the advice Pat! Yea at first we though "variable speed, no brainer" but slowly are thinking would the cost be worth it for a pool the size we are looking for (16x32 TOPS - probably smaller once we actually do the "garden hose" test, which we plan on trying tonight). 2 speed may be fine for a small pool. IDK, we are just so overwhelmed with information at this point, we may just get price quotes for both and let that weigh in on our decision also.

I would only offer one suggestion, as your list looks fine. (and you probably already know this anyway)

Make sure that you allow your PB to give you some of his creativity. You have a very detailed idea of what you want, which is great. But make sure that you are open to listen to ways in which the PB might have ideas that are even better than you come up with. But obviously dont let them bully you into something that you dont want. And when you ask the other PBs for bids, its OK to listen to what their ideas, and have slight different ideas and slightly different prices.

Even if the 3 PBs quote slightly different things, you are going to be able to tell who you want to build your pool. For me, the way to pick your PB is to throw out anyone who is ridiculously high priced, then throw out anyone who seems shady. Then, as long as everyone's prices are close, pick the person that seems easiest to get along with and most knowledgable. If one of the guys is hard to get a hold of now while he is in sales mode, he will be harder to reach once he has your money.

Looking good...a few thoughts:

Pump - 2-speed - No brainer...TX electricity rates are cheap and I don't see any water features where a VS might be beneficial.

LED's - Color LED's are way cool. I HIGHLY recommend them. They are not just for kids.

Cleaner - Recommend a robot versus pressure or suction. Decide which one you want so they each quote that one.

Filter - Cartridge - fine, any of them are and each has their +/-'s. But tell them the size you want, not vice versa. There are formulas here for determining the best size.

Plaster - Good that you have a color in mind, but you don't mention what type of plaster (i.e. pebble, sheen, quartz or marcite-->plain plaster tinted). Then brand and color.

Autocover - They range roughly from $8k to $12K+ depending on size and options. And they do require routine maintenance like a car - not cheap to buy or maintain. I have one and enjoy having it. Realize that with an autocover and your layout, that the pit will be on the house end of the pool which will be rather awkward having the cover retracting where you step into the pool on your wide steps. Huge issue/item to consider. I'm happy to discuss it with you more if you'd like.

Sanitization - By chlorine, do you mean pouring bleach? Saltwater (SWCG)? Or, shudder the thought, pucks? Slam dunk for SWCG for your pool with no soft stone nearby.

Outlets - Single dual gang outlet is not enough. Suggest adding several single gangs spread around kitchen area. You will also have one by the equipment.

Plumbing - Lots non-sexy to consider here. Home runs from skimmers, main drain (if you do one - optional but I like), skimmers, and returns to equipment. Possibly looped return alternately. Specify piping size and no flex. Others will suggest in more detail here.

Rain damage before gunite by builder.

Soil issues to address - I have no idea but TX has them sometimes by region.

Repairs to lawn and sprinklers - specify.

Landscaping?

Kitchen and fireplace - Do as much Houzz and TFP, etc. browsing as you can and save lots of inspiration photos. They convey ideas far better than words.

Depths - You'll want to provide a depth profile. 4'-5'-6' is open to interpretation believe it or not. Think of how a fiberglass pool is sloped continuously with no flat deep-end sometimes, versus a diving pool with a big deep-end. This causes heartaches if not specified - seen it here.

Equipment pad - Size and layout to some extent. See recent thread about placement of electrical panel debacle.

It's impossible to be too detailed (you have no idea until you go through it) - though also impossible to think of everything.

Given a fully new install ... getting one of the smaller VS pumps should not be much price difference from a small 2-speed pump ... only a few hundred bucks. I would NOT get one of the big full featured VS pumps though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.