Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner

Hi, I'm a new pool owner in NE Ohio. Pool is up and filling, have a temporary extension cord running to the pump and am waiting for the County to approve the electrical permit.

The pool store we bought the pool from included a Frog Leap Infuser which from everything I've read about is garbage and I'm not going to use except maybe the trichlor for vacations. Not even installing the mineral pack. They gave me a bunch of other things in a pool opening kit. A couple of bottles of zinc based algaecide which I assume I shouldn't use. Some MPS shock, a metal "remover" (I'm assuming this is a metal sequestor which I probably wouldn't need), and a couple bags of Calcium Hypochlorite shock.

I have a TF-100 test kit coming in the mail on Tuesday I plan on starting the motor later today once the water is at the right level. Should I do anything as far as chlorine goes until I get my TF-100 on Tuesday?
    14,250 Gallon AG 24' 54" Aluminum pool. NE Ohio |Waterway Clearwater II Cartridge Deluxe System 1.5 hp 2 spd pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner

Welcome to,TFP!

If you have water, you need chlorine.

Use Pool Math to compute how much stabilizer you are going to need and put half that amount in a sock and hang it in front of a return.

Add about 1/2 gallon of bleach each morning until you get your test kit and can be more precise.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Vermifax, I'm impressed. You speak good TFP and know to stay clear of those "products" pool stores/builders try to push on you. You have good instinct. Not to mention already having the TF-100 on order! Outstanding! If you haven't seen the pages/link listed below in my sig, please do so. You'll be that much more ahead of the game. Welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I would also get some CYA in a sock (at least 1lb) to start it off and maintain some of that bleach.
    18' x 36' vinyl steel wall pool with deep end, 2 lights and 6' steps, main drain, SWG, Cartridge Filter, 320,000 BTU Rheem heater, 3/4HP 1 stage pump - Ontario, Canada

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP. Sounds like you've already done some homework.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

The two most important things to maintain in your pool day to day is chlorine and PH.
    PH needs to be kept between 7.2 and 7.8 always.
    Chlorine needs to always be kept above the minimum level for your CYA level to keep algae from growing. Chlorine CYA Chart
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter333 View Post
    I would also get some CYA in a sock (at least 1lb) to start it off and maintain some of that bleach.
    Is that a literal cotton foot sock? Or something else?

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    14,250 Gallon AG 24' 54" Aluminum pool. NE Ohio |Waterway Clearwater II Cartridge Deluxe System 1.5 hp 2 spd pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Vermifax View Post
    Is that a literal cotton foot sock? Or something else?

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    Yes it is. I use one of my husbands old socks.
    18ft Round AG, Vinyl, 100LB Pentair Sand Filter, 1HP, June 2012, TF-100 w/SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

Make sure there aren't any holes! I stole one of the kid's loner tube socks.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach