Whitish "stain" in shallow end of pool

May 26, 2015
Sunnyvale, CA
Hello,

I posted some time ago about how my PB messed up the acid wash process and scratched all our glass trim tiles, which had to be replaced. Well during the acid wash it seems they messed up something else. As I was watching the two guys working I noticed a water was left pooling in the shallow end, as the deep end was filling. I thought nothing of it. We had to drain the pool to redo the trim tiles, and that's when I saw a huge whitish stain where that water had been. I brought it up to my PB, who said "you won't see it when the pool is full". Well of course, now that the pool is full of water again, I see it (looks like a big "8"). More so when it's getting darker toward the end of the day. Is this something I'm supposed to live with, or completely unacceptable? My PB said it wasn't unusual for this to happen (leave water pool up) when acid washing. I don't know if I can believe him, how could I? I'm not an expert. BUT, this stain definitely bugs me. Even more so knowing they damaged our trim tiles. That's a lot of mistakes for one job.

Attached are some pics.
Thanks for your feedback,

NJ

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Acid wash crew - water pooling.jpg
    Acid wash crew - water pooling.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Pool plaster ring - evening light.jpg
    Pool plaster ring - evening light.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 105
  • pool plaster ring - daylight.jpg
    pool plaster ring - daylight.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 101
  • Stain in Pool - low resolution.jpg
    Stain in Pool - low resolution.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 103
If water can pool there, the dirt will also settle there .... seems like the surface was not sloped as expected.

I certainly do not like the way that looks, but this is an issue between you and the builder.

It's not "right" for sure, but I am not sure what your contract says with regard to blemishes/cosmetic imperfections that don't affect the integrity of the pool? I know my contract explicitly said that b/c of the type of plaster i chose that color mottling and uneven finish was to be expected. I'd start with the contract and see if there's anything in there that either protects you or protects the builder on this issue.

Also, is it worth it to you to go through another drain/acid wash/refill or perhaps complete replaster over the issue?

I'm sorry you've fallen victim to this poor workmanship. Unfortunately, this may be a case of "the cure is worse than the disease." As Jason said, only you and PB can decide what is acceptable here.

Thank you for your replies jblizzle and PoolESQ. Yes this is between us and the builder, and I think they owe us a replaster. It's definitely not something we want to do but with the amount of money we put it we believe they dropped the ball on us.
I'll add that we were aware the Pebble finish could be uneven and we're fine with this. We have examples of that in the pool, where there's blue plaster more visible here and there. However that stain is completely different. If water hadn't pooled there during the acid wash, we would not be having this problem.
And thanks for pointing out that dust might settle in that area. This is so bad... Another reason to go after our PB.

NJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.