Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool water readings

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool water readings

My test on my pool is ph 8.2, TA 160, an CL at 5-10. Is this ok?
    I have an in ground pool. 23k of water. Vinyl liner, ranger series sand filter with Pentar model 320 automatic chlorine/bromine in- line feeder and Polaris robot pool cleaner and a Leslie's deluxe pool care DPD test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool water readings

Welcome to TFP!

Why do you say the FC is 5 - 10. Which is it?

Plus, without the CYA the chlorine number is useless
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Well on the test kit it has 5 10 and it is same color as that range. What is CYA?
    I have an in ground pool. 23k of water. Vinyl liner, ranger series sand filter with Pentar model 320 automatic chlorine/bromine in- line feeder and Polaris robot pool cleaner and a Leslie's deluxe pool care DPD test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

10ppm is if you had bromine, 5ppm is chlorine ... does not sound like you are using one of the Recommended Test Kits with the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Please take a look at this to answer your last question:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by cbyrd View Post
    Well on the test kit it has 5 10 and it is same color as that range. What is CYA?
    it is another name for stabilizer. If you have the Leslie's DPD test kit has a CYA test, you need to run it to find out your level. That kit is the same as a K-2005, so you need to add the FAS/DPD test to be able to test above 5

TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Welcome to TFP!

Your pH needs to come down, but that is just about the only advice I can offer without more tests. CYA and proper FC readings specifically. 5-10 is not nearly accurate or precise enough and one of several reasons we do not like test strips.

How does your water look?

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits