Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What To Fix First? Calcium, PH or Shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

What To Fix First? Calcium, PH or Shock?

I have 3 issues at once & I would like to know which one to battle first.
    Don't want to just dump a bunch of different Chemicals in at Once.
    I need to Shock It. Calcium Hardness is Low. PH is High.

FC 3 (Algae growing on Pool Walls)
    Alkalinity 80
    CYA 80
    PH 8.2
    Calcium Hardness 80 (20' x 40' Gunite Pool: Should Be between 150-200)

Thanks in advance!
    20' X 40' Rectangular Gunite Pool with Spa
    28,000 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    Rainbow Chlorinator
    Penair Pump
    Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What To Fix First? Calcium, PH or Shock?

Hey Dino! The group here is going to ask this first ..... how did you get those test results? Pool store or your own kit? If your own, which kit was it? That will drive everything from this point forward.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

My own Test Kit! I never rely on ANY pool store testing.
    Thanks for asking! The Tests are accurate. Performed them 2 times.
    28,000 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    Rainbow Chlorinator
    Penair Pump
    Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

Drain first. No point adding Calcium you'll just pump out later. And lower CYA makes shocking easier.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well then, you have a couple issues to resolve based on these readings. Here are my thoughts, others will chime-in I'm sure as well:
    - You need to "SLAM" following the instruction from TFP (link below) to remove the algae; but there's two problems ahead of that
    a. Your CYA is high for a Non-SWG pool. To SLAM, ideally the CYA level should be about 30. It can be done at higher levels, but 80 is probably too high and the only way to reduce CYA is by replacing some of the water.
    b. Your pH is also high, and to SLAM it should ideally be at about 7.2.

All things considered, it looks like you might need to drain/replace some water first to get your CYA down, adjust your PH to about 7.2, then follow the SLAM instructions.

Remember - CYA increases either when YOU add stabilizer, or by using pool store "bags of shock" or pucks - both of which TFP discourages using.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and perhaps some other TFP'ers will reply as well.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's amazing how fast the Pucks raise the CYA.
    I put 2 Clorox (New Product) Pucks per Week.
    From 30 the CYA went to 80 in a month.
    Ok. I got it. It's going to take tons of Liquid Chlorine.
    I may try Bags of Cal-Hypo. But last time I used that, Water was cloudy for 10 days.
    28,000 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    Rainbow Chlorinator
    Penair Pump
    Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Dino, after your last comment ..... just to be clear ... the liquid chlorine (bleach) is used to increase/maintain your free chlorine (FC) not lower CYA. CYA has to be lowered by water exchange - partially drain and re-fill. After that, then you can start to look at beginning the "SLAM". While some of those other products you mentioned may have their place at times, you almost can never go wrong with your basic (regular) liquid bleach. Works very well with virtually no side-effects.

8. Back To Top    #8

Yea I understood what U meant. Sorry for the confusion.
    28,000 Gallons
    Sand Filter
    Rainbow Chlorinator
    Penair Pump
    Polaris 280