Polaris 280 NEW (and old) backup valve has constant stream of water but still cycles

Hi.

My Polaris needed lots of tweaks after not being used last season. I replaced the backup valve after noticing there was a constant flow of water. Replaced it and there is STILL a constant spray of water coming from it but it does cycle and does pick up the polaris and moves it (just has a stronger stream of water at that time). I can't find anything online about why by backup valve is constantly spewing water.

The polaris is working and cleaning but just not as efficiently as normal because the water from the backup valve is causing it to hover a bit off the surface.

Would love some help on this one.

-pool newbie trying to learn!

is the back up valve installed the correct way? sharper end towards cleaner. the back up valve has a set of gears inside and as water flows through, the gears turn a flap which allows water to divert out the bypass "reverse" jet to create a jet of water to pull the cleaner away. this happens approx every 3 minutes. sometime you have sand/grit which has jammed the gears open, so you may need to disassemble the valve and give it a good clean then reassemble. check inline strainer at the wall fitting to make sure it has not broken.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.