Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 280 NEW (and old) backup valve has constant stream of water but still cycles

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 280 NEW (and old) backup valve has constant stream of water but still cycles

Hi.

My Polaris needed lots of tweaks after not being used last season. I replaced the backup valve after noticing there was a constant flow of water. Replaced it and there is STILL a constant spray of water coming from it but it does cycle and does pick up the polaris and moves it (just has a stronger stream of water at that time). I can't find anything online about why by backup valve is constantly spewing water.

The polaris is working and cleaning but just not as efficiently as normal because the water from the backup valve is causing it to hover a bit off the surface.

Would love some help on this one.

-pool newbie trying to learn!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris 280 NEW (and old) backup valve has constant stream of water but still cyc

Welcome to TFP!!!

Sorry you have not gotten any quicker responses.

I am not familiar with that cleaner so will just bump it up for someone who might be.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Re: Polaris 280 NEW (and old) backup valve has constant stream of water but still cyc

is the back up valve installed the correct way? sharper end towards cleaner. the back up valve has a set of gears inside and as water flows through, the gears turn a flap which allows water to divert out the bypass "reverse" jet to create a jet of water to pull the cleaner away. this happens approx every 3 minutes. sometime you have sand/grit which has jammed the gears open, so you may need to disassemble the valve and give it a good clean then reassemble. check inline strainer at the wall fitting to make sure it has not broken.
    16,000lts Fibreglass, Magna Mineral Pool Water
    Jandy CV340 Cartridge filter, Zodiac TRi SWC, Z4 iAqualink, Jandy Laminar Jets, Solar Heating, Spa Jets with Jandy 1.5hp Epump operating everything.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The main thing is like malcolmb said it to make sure it it on right but I have seen a lot of them that put out a little water like what you describe and it is not really a problem.