Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Buying home with pool - Repaint needed? what would you do?

1. Back To Top    #1

Buying home with pool - Repaint needed? what would you do?

I am buying a home with a painted pool and reading up/learning as much as possible. I grew up around pools so I already have a good idea what I am getting into. I had a pool man inspect it and the report came back clean except for the paint on the walls - Clouds up a little when you rub it and little milky residue on your hand. My inspector says it needs immediate attention, but the water is clear otherwise.

Based on my research here it sounds like pool paint doesnt last too long in the first place. I know the argument against paint, but putting the cash down to replaster on top of the 20% down on the house ... I am getting alligator arms that jsut don't want to reach into my pockets for a replaster right away.

My question: would you have a problem with the pool needing a repaint if you were buying the house? The pool was not opened for the summer when we put the offer in. Being that pool paint doesnt last long would you just let it go or demand pool repaint???? I kind of feel since paint doesnt last too long anyway it is like requesting the trees be pruned before closing.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Buying home with pool - Repaint needed? what would you do?

Welcome to TFP!

Assuming the price was right considering the condition, I wouldn't have a problem. In reality, the pool needs to be re-plastered. The paint is a Band-Aid, but if you are willing to live with that it can keep you going a long time.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks JohnT. I am sure I'll have plenty more questions in the near future. Great resource here!

4. Back To Top    #4

You should be able to get a few years with a decent paint job. You can ask for the pool to be repainted before you sign the papers, all they can say is no.

Another option, if you can afford a little more money for the house, try negotiating a price that is a little higher and split the cost of having the pool plastered. This way you would not need very much more money and you get it rolled into the loan.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process