Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach Causing Film?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach Causing Film?

The pool guy just left after installing our light & he said that we have a film on the top of our water from using store brand bleach instead of actual pool chlorine. He said it's from soap that's in the bleach. I'm assuming that's not true since using bleach is one of the basic things that TFP recommends. Is what he said just baloney or am I using a bad kind of bleach? I am using Walmart's 8.25% 121 oz. basic stuff.

Thank you!
    Kelly
    ~~~~~~
    32x16 rectangular vinyl in-ground pool (21,000-23,000 gallons?) filled with well water. 24" Hayward sand filter & a Hayward super pump (unsure of model # or specifications). TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach Causing Film?

I'm going with Grade-A bologna. Sodium hypochlorite is the active ingredient - period. Probably another reason why we try to encourage pool owners to just take care of the pool themselves because sometimes they fall victim to such comments. At least you had to good presence of mind to know better and ask for validation. Good for you!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've never had a film on my water and I do use Walmart Bleach. Sounds like you already know NOT to use Splashless, Easy Pour, Scented. Use regular 8.25% bleach.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

2 questions:

1. Do you notice any film on top of your water?

2. How does he know you are using bleach?
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks to everyone for reassuring me! I'm pretty sure that there is no film. Our water still a little cloudy because we are trying to get the chemicals straight and the pool guy saw my gallons of bleach sitting out (oops!). I think I'll take his advise with a grain of salt. Thanks again!
    Kelly
    ~~~~~~
    32x16 rectangular vinyl in-ground pool (21,000-23,000 gallons?) filled with well water. 24" Hayward sand filter & a Hayward super pump (unsure of model # or specifications). TF-100 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

I use Regular Great Value 8.25% also. Never had a film here.
    16k AG Vinyl Sand Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Never had an issue with film until hubby introduced his oiled body into the pool. lol

Your pool boy is full of it!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Yeah, I am guessing he saw the bleach and then came up with his film story. Now if he hadn't seen the bleach and asked if you were using it, then he might have had some credibility.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quite the opposite....ordinary bleach is the cure for any films that may develop on your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

That's funny. If you are adding your own chemicals, what does your pool guy do?
    St. Louis, MO, 25000 gal, 16x32 lagoon, vinyl, sand filter, Hayward pump, chlorine, install complete 9/12, Taylor TF100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Hopefully run skimmers, brush, vacuum, and leave.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    Hopefully run skimmers, brush, vacuum, and leave.
    LOL! Good plan!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach