about draining pool

Aug 30, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm going to need to drain the pool due to high CYA. (I estimate it around 250.) According to the pool calculator, I need to replace about 80% of the water to get a CYA of 60. Jason has said that I would be able to drain and refill it myself and that I would need to leave about 1 foot of water in the shallow end to avoid problems with the liner. So, anybody know about how much water it would be if I drained down to only 1 foot left in the shallow end? (I have a 3 foot shallow end, rectangular pool) That's still alot of water left in the pool. Would I do the drain and refill, then test the CYA again, then drain, refill, test, again and again and again? Also, if it were you, would you start doing this now or wait until spring?

TIA,
Pam

my2kidsmom said:
Would I do the drain and refill, then test the CYA again, then drain, refill, test, again and again and again?
Yes, drain (as instructed), refill, circulate, test & repeat until you reach your desired CYA level.

my2kidsmom said:
Also, if it were you, would you start doing this now or wait until spring?
If it was my pool, I'd wait 'til spring. Just my .02 :wink:

thanks! So, since that is the size of my pool, and if my CYA is indeed 250 (I'm pretty certain....but it could be HIGHER), then that would bring my CYA down to roughly 130...still unacceptable. So, I will have to drain another drain down 2' and that would bring the CYA down to about 70 and that's a number I can probably live with.

If you have a vinyl liner I would not recommend draining it all at once. I would drain down about 1/3 and then refill, circulate a few hours, then repeat the process until you get the CYA where you want it. You will use more water this way but you are much less likely to cause your liner harm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.