Need help deciding!

What depth?

• Total voters
Jun 3, 2015
Dallas. TX
Hello everyone!! We are in the process of planning and designing our pool. It is just us two (30ish) with no plans for kiddo's so we don't need diving boards, etc.

What we can't decide is depth! Husband is 6'2" and I'm 5'3". Our layout is geometric (rectangle), so the question is - should we get a pool that is 4' sloping to 6' in the deep end OR 4' on both ends with the center being the deepest point at 5'.

We are not overly playful, we may occasionally want to play water sports but mostly like lounging and hanging out.

What do you think?

Welcome to TFP!

Even a 5' pool is pretty shallow. The water will be shallower than that most of the time. I'm 6' and usually stand out near where the bottom is 6' below the deck to stay cool.

Our pool is rated at 7' deep, although to the water line it is actually a little over 6.5' and we love it. Our pool is long enough to where we have plenty of shallow standing room to chat or play volleyball, yet also be able to swim down deeper if we want. We don't dive either, but I think the deeper water helps to keep the overall pool temperature at a more constant, pleasurable temp. That could just be my imagination, but I'm sticking to it! :laughblue:

I would go for the 6' section as it will absorb some of the plunge if you want to jump in the pool. I've jumped into enough shallow pools to know how much of a difference a foot makes on my damaged knees. There will be plenty enough shallow space with a 4',6',4' pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.