16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4' sloped to 6' deep

9 56.25%
  • 4' edges slopping to 5' deep center

7 43.75%

Thread: Need help deciding!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need help deciding!

Hello everyone!! We are in the process of planning and designing our pool. It is just us two (30ish) with no plans for kiddo's so we don't need diving boards, etc.

What we can't decide is depth! Husband is 6'2" and I'm 5'3". Our layout is geometric (rectangle), so the question is - should we get a pool that is 4' sloping to 6' in the deep end OR 4' on both ends with the center being the deepest point at 5'.

We are not overly playful, we may occasionally want to play water sports but mostly like lounging and hanging out.

What do you think?
    No pool yet...will update once we sign the dotted line and begin construction :)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need help deciding!

Welcome to TFP!

Even a 5' pool is pretty shallow. The water will be shallower than that most of the time. I'm 6' and usually stand out near where the bottom is 6' below the deck to stay cool.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Our pool is rated at 7' deep, although to the water line it is actually a little over 6.5' and we love it. Our pool is long enough to where we have plenty of shallow standing room to chat or play volleyball, yet also be able to swim down deeper if we want. We don't dive either, but I think the deeper water helps to keep the overall pool temperature at a more constant, pleasurable temp. That could just be my imagination, but I'm sticking to it!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I would go for the 6' section as it will absorb some of the plunge if you want to jump in the pool. I've jumped into enough shallow pools to know how much of a difference a foot makes on my damaged knees. There will be plenty enough shallow space with a 4',6',4' pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

going through the same process, I think 4-6 is the best. I am 6,2" wife 5,3" She wanted 3.5-5. I think that's way too shallow, 4-6 is the a good compromise.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

The most ironic part is that I (the short one) want the 4'-6' and my husband wants the 4-5-4

I think I will try to convince him to go 6' based on the water line being shorter than the chosen depth
    No pool yet...will update once we sign the dotted line and begin construction :)