Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover vs. solar panel(s)?

1. Back To Top    #1

Chardon, Ohio

Solar cover vs. solar panel(s)?

Looking to heat my pool using solar energy, but not sure which route to go. The costs seem fairly similar either way (probably a bit more for panels), so I thought I'd see what you all would recommend based on your experiences.

30ft round, 21k gallon AG Vinyl Pool, Doughboy Powerline XP I Series 1Hp single-speed Pump (0-3296-203), Doughboy Silica II Sand Filter (0-1750-000)
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit with SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2
    NW Ohio

Re: Solar cover vs. solar panel(s)?

Actually, a solar cover is a bit of a misnomer. It's main temperature benefit is insulating the water, especially at night. Solar blanket would frankly be a better term. The pool warms up by day and the cover slows the heat loss at night.

Solar panels on the other hand actively heat the pool. The name of the game with those is square footage. The more there is the more solar energy they are collecting and the warmer the water. I don't know what you run schedule for your pool is but with solar panels you will need to have it running during the day and off at night to see the maximum benefit.

You probably will want to either get the solar cover alone or get both, since you can lose a lot of the heat you generated during the day overnight without a cover.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    Dallas Ga

Re: Solar cover vs. solar panel(s)?

unless they meant a solar dome...
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit K-2006-C