Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Persistent Algea with successful SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

Persistent Algea with successful SLAM?

I have the same issue. A green pool even though my FC is consistently 3-4 and my CC is 0. I have a SWG and sand filter and last night i put a cup of DE in the skimmer to try to help it get the smaller stuff.

Based on reading here, even though the CC was zero, I figured it must be algae so I decided to SLAM it. I went ahead and dumped in 8 gallons of bleach last night and got the FC up to about 20. Should I continue this or am I on the wrong track?

What is the solution if it is indeed pollen? Shouldnt the filter be able to handle it?
    18,000 Gallon in ground pool with SWG
    Plaster surface, Maytronics Z5 robot
    Multi speed pump, Hayward sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    K-1766 salt test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Persistent Algea with successful SLAM?

Without knowing your CYA level we don't know if you have reached shock level or not.

We base our advice on accurate reliable testing and your 5 way kit won't provide the numbers or accuracy we need. We have found that tests based on the Taylor reagents provide the accuracy needed.

Pick up a TF100 as it is the best value in providing the reagents you will need for the SLAM plus have enough left over for a lot more testing

TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.
    Based on reading here, even though the CC was zero, I figured it must be algae so I decided to SLAM it. I went ahead and dumped in 8 gallons of bleach last night and got the FC up to about 20. Should I continue this or am I on the wrong track?
    But you did not SLAM it. You only added a large dose of chlorine. The SLAM process is just that.....a process that can stretch out for days and you must hold you chlorine high the entire time.

A picture of your pool water would likely be a big help and then posting ALL your test results would be an even bigger one.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Right, I just started the SLAM last night, but am considering abandoning it if Im on the wrong path. With CC=0 is a SLAM the right course? Ill take pics tonight. Here were the test results before I added the 8 gallons of bleach:
    FC=3
    CC=0
    TA=130
    CYA=50
    salt PPM = 3500

I updated my signature to show that I now have the good TF test kits.

Thanks!
    TF-100 test kit
    K-1766 salt test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You need to follow the SLAM instructions completely until the end.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Byra View Post
    Right, I just started the SLAM last night, but am considering abandoning it if Im on the wrong path. With CC=0 is a SLAM the right course? Ill take pics tonight. Here were the test results before I added the 8 gallons of bleach:
    FC=3
    CC=0
    TA=130
    CYA=50
    salt PPM = 3500

I updated my signature to show that I now have the good TF test kits.

Thanks!
    ok, so what is your FC after you added the bleach? are you losing FC rapidly? if you tested your FC 1/2 hour after adding it and its say 25ppm (not knowing the number, just for argument sakes) and then you test it after 2 hours and it has dropped a lot, you have an algae problem. if you its pretty steady, then test again after sundown, record it and then test again before first light in the morning. This is the OCLT. if your FC drops less than 1ppm your pool is good and you don't have an algae problem.

report back

if its POLLEN, you need to vacuum/filter to get rid of it is all
    Last edited by DaninFLA; 06-05-2015 at 02:22 PM. Reason: fixed typo...meant POLLEN, not algae
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by DaninFLA View Post
    ok, so what is your FC after you added the bleach? are you losing FC rapidly? if you tested your FC 1/2 hour after adding it and its say 25ppm (not knowing the number, just for argument sakes) and then you test it after 2 hours and it has dropped a lot, you have an algae problem. if you its pretty steady, then test again after sundown, record it and then test again before first light in the morning. This is the OCLT. if your FC drops less than 1ppm your pool is good and you don't have an algae problem.

report back

if its algae, you need to vacuum/filter to get rid of it is all
    I agree with everything but the last sentenance. Filtration has nothing to do with eliminating live algae. Now, if it's dead algae - fine.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I agree with everything but the last sentenance. Filtration has nothing to do with eliminating live algae. Now, if it's dead algae - fine.
    Doh! meant pollen, not algae! editing now, good catch
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I did the OCLT test 2 days ago and it dropped by 1 ppm. Thats another thing that makes me doubt its algae.

Is it even possible that pollen can turn the water green? Maybe if my pump is unable to keep up?
    TF-100 test kit
    K-1766 salt test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Byra View Post
    I did the OCLT test 2 days ago and it dropped by 1 ppm. Thats another thing that makes me doubt its algae.

Is it even possible that pollen can turn the water green? Maybe if my pump is unable to keep up?
    does it brush off really easily? If so, probably pollen. pollen comes in lots of colors, green is one
    Dan

11. Back To Top    #11

The most important part of the SLAM is the M for Maintain - as in maintain FC as close to the target FC for your CYA as you can until all the criteria of the SLAM are met.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.