Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine %

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine %

I have been reading here everyone that buys Walmart Great Value bleach is 8.25%. My local Walmart Great Value bleach says 4.25% on the jug??
    I tested it (.1ml/1L) and it tested out to 4.5%. Cant seem to see any 8.25% stuff other that Clorox brand.
    Also I tested some liquid chlorine labelled 10.8% and it tested at 14%. Does that sound normal ?
    20x40 IG Vinyl Pool, New Kafko Liner, 6 Foot Stairs, 35000 Gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Pump, (Lonely Inline Chlorinator) Solar Panels, Self Built 1999, TF-100(2015)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine %

It is possible that the FC % is higher than the label if it is very fresh ... although the testing procedure can be pretty inaccurate as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes thats what I thought. Think I will add to pool calculator based on 10.8% and 14% seperately and calculate how much it brings up my FC level in pool water after testing and go from there.
    20x40 IG Vinyl Pool, New Kafko Liner, 6 Foot Stairs, 35000 Gallons, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Pump, (Lonely Inline Chlorinator) Solar Panels, Self Built 1999, TF-100(2015)

4. Back To Top    #4

I think you may have the cleaning (household) bleach, or maybe easy pour? The standard Walmart bleach is 8.25% (costs $2.94 for 121 oz here)....I don't think it would differ much in cost anywhere, and the % chlorine should be the same.
    Edit- I see you're in Canada, so I don't know what's available there
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes i am in Canada. The Great Value bleach is not easy pour. Just their regular bleach. I checked all they stock on the shelf and its all 4.25% ( $1.98 for 121 oz). Possibly a Canadian Walmart thing? I am close to USA so next trip south I will look in the Walmart and see if they have the 8.25%.

6. Back To Top    #6

That is strange that they would not have it north of the border. I would talk to the store manager. Usually the 121 oz is the key that it is the "concentrated" stuff.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Cheetah, a ten litre jug of 12% liquid chlorine is $5.99 at the local pool store here (Toronto area). 121 oz of the Walmart bleach is about 3.5 litres so you are paying 10/3.5x$1.98=$5.66 for ten litres of the Walmart bleach, about the same price per litre but it is just over a third as strong. Bottom line is that the Walmart bleach well over twice as expensive per unit of chlorine. Unless liquid chlorine is unavailable in your location or costs far more than here, you should probably use it instead. If it is, in fact, 8.25%, then it starts looking better but is still higher price.

Hopefully I haven't missed something in my calculation.
    Lagoon 40x22, Vinyl, 27,000 gal, 1HP WhisperFlo Pump, Pentair 60 gpm Sand filter, Hayward Brominator (used for chlorine pucks only when away), Rheem gas heater, Dolphin M4 Robot
    Waterfall on separate dedicated pump