First reading with the TF-100 - whats next

Dec 28, 2014
Edmond, OK
So I was able to get my pool filter replaced with a Pentair Sand Dollar. I got my TF-100 and here is my first reading. The pool company shocked the pool with Cal Hypo while I was out of town. The swamp is now a very white/blue murky color. Last week I drained about 1/3 of the pool to lower my CYA which was reading above 150 on the Test Strips.

FC - 7
CC - 0 or 7 not sure how to report it
CH - 500 (probably off)
TA - 200
ph - 7.2
CYA - 100 ---- UGH!!!

So other that probably needing to drain more water and replacing to lower the CYA. How can I get rid of the murkiness and lower my TA?

Thank you!

if your CYA says its 100, it could be 100 or it could be 500. the test only goes to 100. you will have to dilute and test again and multiply by two. I.e, use half pool water and half tap water, fill to the bottom of label, fill with the reagent to top of label per instructions. are you shaking it and waiting at least 30 seconds to do the test? with dilution method, if you get a CYA of 60, then you have 120. if its 100 again, going to have to dilute again.

the CYA takes a while to get right. make sure you watch the instructional video and duplicate. then retest again with new sample to make sure its accurate. would hate to have you drain the pool to only learn the test wasn't done right.

that said, if you have been using pucks your CYA is most likely too high and will need to drain pool to lower it.

if you added the 5 drops after your FC test and it didn't turn pink...your CC is 0

other numbers look good at least :)

don't worry about your TA right now. its a bit high, but can worry about that later.

the solution to your water issues, is to first get CYA under control and then SLAM. start reading up on the SLAM procedures. if you are patient and follow it, it will work 100% of the time

next item to do...provide your notice to the pool company that you will no longer need their services :)

next item after that...start stocking up on bleach. you are going to need A LOT. would get at least 20 gallons to start. will need more, but will get you going once CYA figured out

I highly doubt your CC is 7. But just to be sure, you ought to watch the how-to video to make sure you're testing chlorine correctly.

The high CYA is most easily reduced by draining and refilling. Sorry. It is a linear thing. Replace 1/3 water, lower CYA 1/3. It worked out once for you. You probably ought to run a dilution test so you get an accurate reading so that you replace enough in one shot. Post 8 step 9. Do it right and never have to do it again.

The TA will come down over time as you adjust pH. It's the last thing you worry about. First you need to kill the algae that is causing the cloudiness.

Drain and refill to get CYA to a reasonable number. Then follow the SLAM directions to clear the water. And then fine tune the rest.

Work on lowering you CYA to 30-50 range. 30 is better so you use use less bleach. Don't worry about TA right now.
You will be doing a SLAM once your CYA is low enough.

You want CC to be .5 or lower. After testing FC in 10ml tube and water goes clear after drops of 0871, you then add 5 drops of 003 and if it turns pink then you add drops of 0871 to make it go clear. You multiply the drops by .5 and that would be your CC.

one more thing. once you figure out your actual CYA...be careful filling the pool. you have a large pool and you are on a well. unlikely you can do a 50% refill (15,000 gallons) from a well without possibly running your well dry and causing mechanical issues and lack of water for your house for a few days.

Only reason I think the CC is accurate at 7 is because he put 10 lbs of the cal hypo and it was completely green and now very white. My assumption could be way off though as I am no expert. I agree though - wont hold on to chlorine with the CYA that high.

Not too concerned about running well dry - we have had an incredible amount of rain. Otherwise yes, it would be a concern. Its more a frustration for how long it takes to drain and refill.

You can add bleach to keep your FC from dropping too low. However, I would not SLAM until your CYA is much lower.

Just brush for now unless you can see the bottom then use the keeps crawly when you can see the bottom better.

2 things:
1. Is it okay to use my Kreepy Krauly during slamming? I am noticing that my KK is reducing my psi from 20 down to 15psi.
2. Should I not even bother SLAMing since my CYA is obviously too high?

you cant SLAM without knowing your CYA. do the dilution test on the CYA and report back. for now just try and keep your FC up to slow down any algae growth. either way you are going to be refilling unless you have access to a chlorine main line pumped directly into your pool :)

say your CYA is 100 (probably higher). your SLAM CYA level is 39ppm. for a 30,000 gallon pool, to raise your FC from say 5 to 39 will take nearly 12 gallons of 8.25% bleach! and that's just the first drop, then two hours later you are going to need another 6 gallons probably. you really want to do that for a week or so?

determining your CYA is critical

for now try and keep your FC around 15ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The high CYA is most easily reduced by draining and refilling. Sorry. It is a linear thing. Replace 1/3 water, lower CYA 1/3. It worked out once for you. You probably ought to run a dilution test so you get an accurate reading so that you replace enough in one shot. Post 8 step 9. Do it right and never have to do it again.

The TA will come down over time as you adjust pH. It's the last thing you worry about. First you need to kill the algae that is causing the cloudiness.

Drain and refill to get CYA to a reasonable number. Then follow the SLAM directions to clear the water. And then fine tune the rest.

So I just did the half tap water and half pool water and my CYA came out right around 60. So it would seem that my actual CYA number is around 120. Ugh - another drain and refill of about half the pool I guess.

Thank you everyone for your help!

good luck, draining/refilling has got to suck. but after you get CYA under control, will never have to do it again

- - - Updated - - -

So I just did the half tap water and half pool water and my CYA came out right around 60. So it would seem that my actual CYA number is around 120. Ugh - another drain and refill of about half the pool I guess.

Thank you everyone for your help!

ouch. also remember that the accuracy of the CYA test decreases at higher numbers. it could be plus/minus 20 I bet. I would do 2/3 drain if you are able to do it. would stink to do 50% and then you come back and your CYA is 65 or something and you have to drain again. I would bite the bullet and do more and not have to worry about doing it a second time.

make sure to check your water table first, don't want to float the pool! dig a hole next to your pool to see where the water fills up to and don't go much lower than that

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.