Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter upgrade

1. Back To Top    #1

galesburg illinois

filter upgrade

I have a 16x48 intex pool that I have not filled yet have been reading that the filter it came with is not adequate my question is should I get a sand filter and if so what size ? The description of the pool states its around 5000 gallons depending on how full.
    16x48 intex ultra pool metal fame

2. Back To Top    #2

Rocky Point, NC

Re: filter upgrade

I am using a Hayward S200 sand filter on mine. If you are not planning any upgrades, ie through wall skimmer. I would use the 2500 gph intex sand filter pump combo.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

The filter will work. It's just small and will need much more servicing (cleaning). If you can afford it to upgrade go ahead. It's a seasonal pool, cartridge filters are light easy to store in the winter. Filter models all have their pros/cons.
    Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison
    Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4
    Edmond OK

I have the same pool. I added the 1600 GPH pump with 16" sand filter, and it does fine. But if the 2500 GPH is available, go for it. They didn't have one in stock when I bought mine, or I likely would have gotten the larger one. But either is a vast upgrade from the cartridge filter.

Next, get a Hayward Dyna-skim thru-the-wall skimmer. It keeps so much more debris out of the pool, you won't believe it. Plus it comes with a much better return eyeball and an adapter so that you can use a real pool vac. Don't be afraid to cut the holes in your liner. It's simple and you won't ruin it. Just take your time with an Xacto knife. There are many threads here on how to do it.

Lastly, I like my SWG immensely. Add salt, get your water balanced, and forget about it. Just test every few days. I don't recommend the pump/SWG combo units. Eventually one or the other will quit, and you'll be stuck replacing both. Get the standalone unit instead.

That's my suggested order of upgrades - pump/filter, skimmer, then SWG. Congrats and enjoy that pool. We love ours!
    6000 gal Intex 16'x48" Ultra frame AG
    Splapool 4500 GPH 1 hp pump w/19" sand filter
    Intex Krystalclear SWG EC8110
    Hayward Dyna-skim
    Intex Auto Robot "Wally"