Just Getting started using BBB method and have a few questions

armom

Jun 5, 2015
Branson,Mo
We have had a pool for 2 now, and I started out using Pool store chemicals exclusively the first year. I used the BBB method loosely last year, still using some pool store chemicals off and on. This year I bought a T-100 test kit and am committed to using the BBB method. When we opened our pool 2 weeks ago, the water was hazy but blue, but then the winter cover fell in the pool with the rest of the nasty water on top of it. We then had a olive green pool. Our pump was broke so I had to leave the pool for almost a week. Last Sunday we got pump fixed and added lots of shock. I then ordered a test kit. I have used bleach for the past week since depleting the pool store shock I had left from last year. I received my test kit yesterday and had a few questions about my chemistry levels and how to proceed.

PH- 7.8 (I think, it could have actually been color just below)
CH-275
CYA- 20
FC-8
CC- .5
TA - 140

My water is still a little hazy, but as of this morning I can now see the bottom of the pool. The water is blue. I didn't see that I needed to adjust PH before I started super chlorinating the pool. I just was trying to clear the pool. Last night my FC was 7 with a CC of .5 so I added some bleach, but I did not test water to see what the FC was.

My question is do I need to continue to try and clear pool before adjusting PH and TA, or do that now. My PH and TA have remained the same all week. I was using my test strips before getting my test kit yesterday.

You're in good shape. What's wrong can easily be fixed.

First, have you physically removed all the debris that fell in by vacuuming or scooping with a net?
Second, what chemicals do you have left from the pool store? I hate to give you a shopping list only to discover you already own something that will work.

You do need to lower pH. TA will come down as a side benefit of that. You should raise CYA to around 30. And then you maintain FC up at 12 - yes, 12 - for as long as it takes to clear.

What I'm wondering is if you have any dichlor or trichlor shock powders left over, because a little bit would handle pH, FC, and CYA for you. But don't go buy any! Only f you have some lying around. It's easier to deal with one parameter at a time. Just trying to use up what you have and save you a trip.

Thanks for the comments. The only thing I have left from the pool store is 4 Bioguard smart silk sticks, 1/4 a bottle of algecide(not polyquat so probably throw out), and half a bottle of clarifier. My CYA according to the pool store a few days ago was 6, so I added what I had left of CYA (about 1lb 8 oz) yesterday. I just came in the house from adding enough bleach (I think) to bring to 10ppm, and I was able to see the bottom of the pool to rake and vaccuum all debris from the pool. The bottom had a fine sediment on the bottom of pool that I was able to catch with a panty hose over my skimmer. I am sure there may be more, but I will keep pantyhose on there for now.

I am going to town in a bit to buy Muriatic acid to bring down PH. I will also buy more bleach and CYA. I am so glad I can see the bottom of my pool now!!!

Thank you! I read this forum quite a bit last year, but needed to deplete all my pool store chemicals. I also couldn't afford a good test kit last season so I just did what I could relying on the test strips. I now will have to try and research the way to cover my pool in the winter so I won't start the season with a green pool!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.