Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just Getting started using BBB method and have a few questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Just Getting started using BBB method and have a few questions

We have had a pool for 2 now, and I started out using Pool store chemicals exclusively the first year. I used the BBB method loosely last year, still using some pool store chemicals off and on. This year I bought a T-100 test kit and am committed to using the BBB method. When we opened our pool 2 weeks ago, the water was hazy but blue, but then the winter cover fell in the pool with the rest of the nasty water on top of it. We then had a olive green pool. Our pump was broke so I had to leave the pool for almost a week. Last Sunday we got pump fixed and added lots of shock. I then ordered a test kit. I have used bleach for the past week since depleting the pool store shock I had left from last year. I received my test kit yesterday and had a few questions about my chemistry levels and how to proceed.

PH- 7.8 (I think, it could have actually been color just below)
    CH-275
    CYA- 20
    FC-8
    CC- .5
    TA - 140

My water is still a little hazy, but as of this morning I can now see the bottom of the pool. The water is blue. I didn't see that I needed to adjust PH before I started super chlorinating the pool. I just was trying to clear the pool. Last night my FC was 7 with a CC of .5 so I added some bleach, but I did not test water to see what the FC was.

My question is do I need to continue to try and clear pool before adjusting PH and TA, or do that now. My PH and TA have remained the same all week. I was using my test strips before getting my test kit yesterday.
    24' Above Ground, 13500 gal, Sand Dollar sand filter, Dayton 1 1/2 horse pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just Getting started using BBB method and have a few questions

You're in good shape. What's wrong can easily be fixed.

First, have you physically removed all the debris that fell in by vacuuming or scooping with a net?
    Second, what chemicals do you have left from the pool store? I hate to give you a shopping list only to discover you already own something that will work.

You do need to lower pH. TA will come down as a side benefit of that. You should raise CYA to around 30. And then you maintain FC up at 12 - yes, 12 - for as long as it takes to clear.

What I'm wondering is if you have any dichlor or trichlor shock powders left over, because a little bit would handle pH, FC, and CYA for you. But don't go buy any! Only f you have some lying around. It's easier to deal with one parameter at a time. Just trying to use up what you have and save you a trip.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.

Richard beat me to it and has given great advice!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the comments. The only thing I have left from the pool store is 4 Bioguard smart silk sticks, 1/4 a bottle of algecide(not polyquat so probably throw out), and half a bottle of clarifier. My CYA according to the pool store a few days ago was 6, so I added what I had left of CYA (about 1lb 8 oz) yesterday. I just came in the house from adding enough bleach (I think) to bring to 10ppm, and I was able to see the bottom of the pool to rake and vaccuum all debris from the pool. The bottom had a fine sediment on the bottom of pool that I was able to catch with a panty hose over my skimmer. I am sure there may be more, but I will keep pantyhose on there for now.

I am going to town in a bit to buy Muriatic acid to bring down PH. I will also buy more bleach and CYA. I am so glad I can see the bottom of my pool now!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, if the pool store was right and you had 5 CYA and you added 24 oz, your CYA should be 19, which is awful close to what you read as 20. Good job!

Sounds like you know what you're doing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you! I read this forum quite a bit last year, but needed to deplete all my pool store chemicals. I also couldn't afford a good test kit last season so I just did what I could relying on the test strips. I now will have to try and research the way to cover my pool in the winter so I won't start the season with a green pool!!