Persistent Algea with successful SLAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Split by moderator from HERE. jblizzle

Thanks Dalandlord...I guess I got a little bit hypersensitive, didn't I?.....My apologies.

I have the exact same problem -always getting green "dust" on the bottom only. It creates a "cloud" (like that kid on Charlie Brown) when I sweep it with the broom. My numbers are pretty much same as Cindi's although my pool is much smaller 15' x 42". After a few days of target FC levels the water will turn green then it's back to the endless loop of shocking, sweeping, washing filters and washing the slime sock. I've not had a week of rest on this little pool.

What to do?
:(

Hi All--in the process of a second SLAM this year after a week vacation w/ chlorinator on with tabs.

Except for the residual green algae dust upon brushing, the SLAM appears successful. Last 72 hours of readings below with 2 overnight OCLT < 1 and CC consistently at 0.5 or 0

FC 15, 14.5, 16, 15, 15, 14.5, 16
CC 0, 0, 0.5, 0, 0, 0, 0
TA 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80, 80
PH 7.5, 7.5, 7.4, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.4
CH 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100, 100
CYA 35, 35, 35, 35, 35, 35, 35,

The pool is Chrystal clear (except when brushing and small green patches in the corners and sides); shock FC is holding; CC low to zero; clean cartridges daily. Any one have any thoughts as to why the green dust is remaining?

Moderator note separated out of this post: Persistent Algea with successful SLAM?

I have the exact same problems with my small round 4K gal cap pool. Numbers are good and I find that the powdery drab green friend finds its way to the floor a couple days after vacuuming, gathering in the creases and ridges of the vinyl floor. Mine DOES NOT grow on the walls, it settles to the floor only. If left alone, it will create a full on algae bloom and water quality goes to pot fast. I would like to hear from folks that have actually battled this substance (as described -powder on floor only) and won for a season(s). We want to win the battle and help others do the same.

any chance what you are seeing is not algae, but just pollen from trees? sounds like pollen to me. if your FC is holding overnight and you are keeping FC above the minimum based on the CYA/FC chart, then its probably pollen

any chance what you are seeing is not algae, but just pollen from trees? sounds like pollen to me. if your FC is holding overnight and you are keeping FC above the minimum based on the CYA/FC chart, then its probably pollen

I just went through this last year when I inherited a pool for the first time late in the season.

It's pollen. Trust me, it's pollen...

Let me give you an example, last night I shocked my pool one last time. I had CYA 50 and FC of 25. This morning I checked it and I had a FC of still 25 but I saw powdery stuff accumulating on the bottom.

Last year I freaked out, posted here, had some pictures, thought I had yellow mustard, the whole sh-bang. This year I'm confident it's pollen (and last year was pollen too).

How do you know it's pollen? Real easy...do this...

Take your brush, and where you see what you think is algae, brush next to it, creating some small turbulence. If you see it just blow up from the floor - THAT's POLLEN NOT ALGAE. Green algae (which I had plenty of this year since I opened late) doesn't do that. Green algae literally sticks to the floor until you physically brush it off, i.e. the turbulence created by brushing near it doesn't budge it, you have to literally brush over it to get it to break up.

Try it, let us know.

Re: Help with dust on bottom of pool

Welcome to TFP!

:testresults: This would really give us a better picture of what's going on.

This "dust" could be runoff from recent rains, pollen, or algae. If the water is turning green, I'm inclined to believe it's algae.

We just had record-breaking May rainfall - 3rd wettest month ever. Even with runoff and some debris from recent storms, my water remained clear although when I brushed the bottom, the debris made up mostly of very fine dust and pollen would briefly cloud up near the bottom and then disperse. The water never turned green or any other color. After a break in the storms, all this fine debris got filtered out with some extended pump run time.

It behaves exactly as you describe below. We fully agree that we both have an olive drab green something or other that collects on the pool floor and behaves like dust when disturbed -not sticky nor adhered at all. Cartridge filter and slime sock contain the green substance and require daily cleaning as long as the substance is present. No other signs of algae or biological growth exist.

Left untreated, however, my pool water turns green within 48 hours. I am on my 2nd nite of shocking for mustard algae per the Pool Calculator and the water is now fairly clear and the "pollen" collecting on the cartridge and inside the slime sock are now a light tan with slight green hint. Whatever it is, it is dying and the water quality is improving. I will continue to treat it aggressively per the mustard algae calculation and let you know my findings in a couple days.:p

I just went through this last year when I inherited a pool for the first time late in the season.

It's pollen. Trust me, it's pollen...

Let me give you an example, last night I shocked my pool one last time. I had CYA 50 and FC of 25. This morning I checked it and I had a FC of still 25 but I saw powdery stuff accumulating on the bottom.

Last year I freaked out, posted here, had some pictures, thought I had yellow mustard, the whole sh-bang. This year I'm confident it's pollen (and last year was pollen too).

How do you know it's pollen? Real easy...do this...

Take your brush, and where you see what you think is algae, brush next to it, creating some small turbulence. If you see it just blow up from the floor - THAT's POLLEN NOT ALGAE. Green algae (which I had plenty of this year since I opened late) doesn't do that. Green algae literally sticks to the floor until you physically brush it off, i.e. the turbulence created by brushing near it doesn't budge it, you have to literally brush over it to get it to break up.

Try it, let us know.

Re: Help with dust on bottom of pool

Yessir I will post some test results after I'm done shocking whatever this fine green powdery substance is. I mistakenly left it alone for a few days, thinking it might be some harmless pollen and of course in this heat the water now has a gorgeous emerald green tint.
Thank ya'll and rest well.

Last edited:
It behaves exactly as you describe below. We fully agree that we both have an olive drab green something or other that collects on the pool floor and behaves like dust when disturbed -not sticky nor adhered at all. Cartridge filter and slime sock contain the green substance and require daily cleaning as long as the substance is present. No other signs of algae or biological growth exist.

Left untreated, however, my pool water turns green within 48 hours. I am on my 2nd nite of shocking for mustard algae per the Pool Calculator and the water is now fairly clear and the "pollen" collecting on the cartridge and inside the slime sock are now a light tan with slight green hint. Whatever it is, it is dying and the water quality is improving. I will continue to treat it aggressively per the mustard algae calculation and let you know my findings in a couple days.:p

Yeah, it could be algae. Keep SLAMing then.

I believe it was possibly the "mustard" algae that some refer to in the forums. Using the Pool Calculator, I slammed using the mustard algae shock levels and after 3 days of intense treatment have held a nice water quality for a week even in this New Orleans heat. Be sure to know that I've used a 5 micron bag on my el cheapo pool vac and changed filters daily to get this quality so it's not been a cake walk. I've been adding chlorine at night (4oz cal-hypo 68%)and raising from between 6-8ppm FC to 10ppm FC as I have a predictable 3-4ppm FC loss during the day. CC tests daily at nil or .5 and CYA holding at 70 (tested twice to be sure).

Right now, I am a happy splasher!

Thanks to this forum and the folks that spend time helping others, my confidence level with pool water tests on the high side.

I believe it was possibly the "mustard" algae that some refer to in the forums. Using the Pool Calculator, I slammed using the mustard algae shock levels and after 3 days of intense treatment have held a nice water quality for a week even in this New Orleans heat. Be sure to know that I've used a 5 micron bag on my el cheapo pool vac and changed filters daily to get this quality so it's not been a cake walk. I've been adding chlorine at night (4oz cal-hypo 68%)and raising from between 6-8ppm FC to 10ppm FC as I have a predictable 3-4ppm FC loss during the day. CC tests daily at nil or .5 and CYA holding at 70 (tested twice to be sure).

Right now, I am a happy splasher!

Thanks to this forum and the folks that spend time helping others, my confidence level with pool water tests on the high side.

I would avoid the cal-hypo since it raises CH (that's not bad but then you have to manage CH which is unnecessary if you have a vinyl liner). I'd stick to bleach or sodium hypo (liquid shock)).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After another few days of torrential rain I see that the powdery devil has once again settled onto the floor of the pool and the water is beginning to turn the slightest shade of green. This means only one thing -I've gotta shock again as if it was mustard algae (because nightly dosing will not raise the FC enough to make it go away). Here are my numbers that have been held for the entire week (of rains).

My test results as of this evening:

FC=5.5
CC=.5
PH=7.5
CH=270
CYA-55

I find the only way of keeping a full blown green water bummer at bay is to shock using the mustard algae levels, vac the floor daily, change filters daily and look forward to sunny skies. Simply maintaining the FC levels at target doesn't keep this powdery stuff from taking the water from clean to green in a matter of a few days.
I am using Cal Hypo and have been for 2 seasons -I am careful not to allow the solids (calcium).

Maintaining recommended water balance not good enough to keep algae at bay

I have a 3800 gallon Summer Escapes pool and cannot keep algae at bay (this pool is our tester pool to determine if an inground pool is a good idea).The problem is a powdery substance (those that know it understand what I have may be sanitizer resistant algae) that appears at the bottom of the pool 3-4 days after keeping the water at "mustard algae" shock level to kill it. The substance will turn from green to grey (it's dead Jim) after a 3 day period of this extreme shocking and I can vac it from the floor and have sparkling water and a clean bottom for 5 days max. This is the kicker -I have been absolutely spot on with my tests and chemical balance following these shock treatments, only to find the powdery substance appear again and eventually my water quality slips away. The only common factor seems to be the torrential downpours we've been having here in New Orleans. Bringing the water to normal shock level after a heavy rain does nothing to keep the algae from appearing -it comes with or without normal shocking after a heavy rain.

I've determine that the battles are damaging the vinyl liner with the ph rise and high chlorine from shocking so violently causing an expansion "growing wrinkles" in the pool bottom and now some seam leaks.

For those that are able to offer help, please dont ask for my test results as they are always within the recommended levels. I maintain a CYA of 40-50 and FC is per the chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Who has this problem? Do you also live in the deep South? Have you also dismissed the "it's pollen" responses? What have you done that provides long term water quality?

Thanks ya'll!

Re: Maintaining recommended water balance not good enough to keep algae at bay

fostercontractors said:
For those that are able to offer help, please dont ask for my test results as they are always within the recommended levels.
You have one of the recommended kits, so why the reluctance to post test results?

We had over 16" of rain in May here in DFW - about half our normal annual total. Yes, I had some debris (mostly leaves, pollen, and "ground dirt") get washed in through runoff and the CYA was diluted significantly as the persistent rain caused water turnover via the overflow drain. And yet, my pool stayed remarkably clear and algae-free throughout all of this.

Posting a pic would help, but unless you post test results, the help you receive will be very limited as we will focus on those who put the effort into helping us help them.

.............."please dont ask for my test results as they are always within the recommended levels."

Please don't ask for my help.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your pool. We have to ask the test results because we need the precise numbers to rule out possible causes of your problem. Case in point, currently you say the liner is developing wrinkles, that is usually caused by pH problems, not high chlorine levels. There is no pH information in your post, so we have no information on which to base a recommendation. You have a very small pool and say you are maintaining CYA of 40-50. How often are you testing your CYA? If you have not tested since the last heavy rain it may be significantly diluted. Also how often are you dosing the pool with chlorine? Are you using liquid chlorine, dry chlorine, or a combination of the two? It really helps us troubleshoot your problem when we have not only complete, current test results, but also information on how often you test and dose the pool.

As to how often you have to vacuum, that will vary based on the individual pool. In my case my neighbor's Crepe Myrtles drop "pink snow" in my yard all summer long. The stamen are crumbly and collect on the bottom of my pool to the extent that I would have to vacuum every other day to keep it spotless.

Are you SLAMming or are you merely shocking. A SLAM consists of reaching shock levels and MAINTAINING them until you pass three conditions:

1) overnight FC loss < 1.0

2) CC < 0.5

3) water is crystal clear

You don't mention whether or not you've passed these conditions. If not, you are not maintaining your FC at shock level long enough to eradicate whatever is growing in your pool.

ok, this is an assumption from what I have seen on posts from people that have your pool type "summer escapes" has about the worst pump and filter... how is your cirulation? how is the filter, you have a 5 micron bag so not that good I suppose..

from what you said your numbers are off and you do not want anyone telling you what you already see, they are fine for a couple days and they get off...

poor circulation is probably your main problem... spend some money on a good to great pump and filter

Why the hesitation in posting test results?

Unless you have a known history of the pool, how can you say your maintaining adequate levels?

I'm proud of my pool care, and very willing to share with others as it may help.

Also, this detailed history has really helped me to learn my pool's "feeding habits" making TFPC even easier!

For example, here is most of june:

6/4 8pm
Temp 60F
FC 9
CC .5ppm
pH 7.2
TA 100ppm
CYA 45-ish (not sure)

6/6
FC 7.5
CC 0
pH 7.4

6/7
FC 5.5ppm (+ 3oz)
CC 0ppm
pH 7.2
CYA 35 ppm
TA 90ppm

6/8
63F
FC 6.0ppm
CC <0.5ppm
pH 7.2
TA 90ppm

6/9
66F
FC 5.5ppm (+ 3oz)
CC <0.5
pH 7.4

6/10
5am 65F
4pm 68F
FC 4.5ppm (+ 6oz)
CC <0.5ppm
pH 7.4
TA 90ppm

4:45pm
FC 5.5ppm (+ 3oz)
CYA 30-ish

6/11
4:30am 66F
4 pm 70F
FC 5.0ppm (+ 4oz & swim)
CC <0.5ppm
pH 7.4

6/12
4:45am 68F
5 pm 72F
FC 3.5 (+ 8oz)

6/13
10:45am 74F
FC 4.0ppm (+ 10oz)
CC < 0.5ppm
pH 7.4

2:10pm 75F
FC 5.0ppm
CC <0.5ppm
TA 90ppm

6pm 75F
FC 4.0ppm (+12oz)
CC <0.5ppm

7pm 75F
FC 5.5ppm (+ 4oz)
CC <0.5ppm

6/14
9am 73F
FC 5.0ppm
CC <0.5ppm
pH 7.4
CYA 30-32

4:45pm 75F
FC 4.5 (+ 14oz)

6/15
4:30pm 71F
FC 4.0ppm (+ 12oz)
CC 0ppm
pH 7.4
CYA 30

5pm
FC 5.0ppm (+ 6oz)
CC <0.5ppm

5:40pm
FC 6.0ppm

6/16
4pm 71F
FC 5.0ppm (+ 8oz)
CC 0.0
pH 7.4
TA 90ppm
CYA 30 (+ 4oz)

6/17
4:30am 71F
FC 5.0ppm (+ 10oz)
CC 0.0ppm
pH 7.4

6/18
3:40pm 70F
FC 5.0ppm (+ 12oz)
CC 0.0ppm
pH 7.4

6/19
4:15pm 71F
FC 5.5ppm (+ 13.5oz end of gallon)
CC 0.5ppm
pH 7.4

6/20
11:00am 70F :-(
FC 7.0ppm
CC <0.5ppm
pH 7.4

3:00pm 70F
FC 7.0ppm (+ 4oz)
CC <0.5ppm

6/21
11:00am 68F
+ 1.5" rainwater
FC 6.5ppm
CC <0.5ppm
pH 7.4
CYA 30ppm (+3oz)

3:30pm 71F
Added 6oz Chlorine

6/22
4:15pm 74F
FC 5.0ppm (+18oz)
CC 0.0ppm
pH 7.4

5:15pm 74F (after swim)
FC 7.0ppm (+8oz)
CC 0.0ppm

7:15pm 74F & covered
FC 8.5ppm
CC 0.0ppm

6/23
5:00am 74F & uncover
FC 8.0ppm
CC 0.0ppm

5:30pm 76F
FC 5.5ppm (+ 18oz)
CC <0.5ppm

7:30pm 75F & covered
FC 8.5ppm (ish)
CC 0.0ppm

6/24
5:00am 75F & uncovered
FC 8.5ppm
CC 0.0ppm

1:00pm 75F
FC 6.5ppm
CC <0.5ppm
pH 7.4
CYA 40

4:30pm 76F
FC 5.0ppm (+24oz)
CC 0.0ppm

5:30pm 76F
FC 10ppm
CC <0.5ppm

7:30pm 76F & covered
FC 10ppm
CC 0.5ppm

6/25
4:45am 75F open
FC 8.5ppm
CC 0.5ppm

4:30pm 75F
FC 6.0ppm (+18oz)
CC <0.5ppm
pH 7.4
TA 80ppm

5:30pm
FC 9.0ppm (@ target)
CC <0.5ppm

6/26
4:45am 75F
FC 9.0ppm
CC <0.5ppm

4:20pm 75F
FC 6.0ppm
CC 0.5ppm
pH 7.4
TA 80ppm
CH 20ppm
SI -1.3

5:20pm add 18oz chlorine after swim

5:50pm
FC 9.0ppm (@ target)

7:30pm covered

6/27
6:30am 73F open
FC 8.0ppm
CC <0.5ppm

1:00pm
FC 6.5ppm (+18oz end of gallon)
CC <0.5ppm

8:00pm covered
FC 9.0ppm (@ target)
CC 0.0ppm

6/28 (2"+ rain overnight)
6:30am 68F
FC 8.5ppm (-0.5ppm)
CC 0.5ppm
pH 7.4

10:00am 68F
Added 1-3/4 cups DE
New Clean Filter 11psi
Max 13.5psi (22.5%)

4:30pm 68F 11.5psi strong return.
FC 7.5ppm
CC 0.0ppm

5:40pm 12psi moderate-strong return

7:30pm
Backwash, DE, +20oz chlorine

8:20pm Start of OCLT
Uncovered
FC 11.2ppm
CC 0.0ppm

6/29
5:00am 66F
FC 10.0ppm (-1.2ppm)
CC 0.4ppm

4:30pm 68F
FC 8.5ppm (+54oz)
CC 0.0ppm
pH 7.4
CYA 40ppm

5:30pm Vac & Brush
FC 16.5ppm (+10oz)
CC 0.0ppm

6:15pm
FC 18.5ppm
CC 0.5ppm

8:45pm Start of OCLT
FC 18.5ppm (very faint pink for last drop)
CC 0.5ppm

6/30
4:30am Backwash
FC 16.5ppm (+28oz)
CC 0.5ppm

from your previous thread, here were your results:

FC=5.5
CC=.5
PH=7.5
CH=270
CYA-55

in one post you said CYA was 70. this old post you had 55, and in this new thread its 40-50. you also said your FC was drifting down to 4 by the end of the day. your minimum FC for a CYA of 50 is 4. you are getting to low and probably spending time below 4 for FC which causes algae to grow and multiply. combine that with "shocking" for a few days and the algae isn't completely gone and you are never going to win the battle.

what is your actual CYA?? you have posted a range from 40-70.

the solution is simple, you need to SLAM your pool. and not a " modified" SLAM, but follow the instruction 100% and follow it through to the end.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.