Jun 8, 2014
Central Maine
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good morning,
1st post and 1st time using the TF-100 kit. From this point on, I plan on using this TFP approach.
So far I've opened my pool according to the pool store's recommendation. Pool went from green to clear.
The last product I used was phosphate remover.
I'm ready to add the chemicals according to my pool math results and I'd like a 2nd opinion please.

12,500 gal.-- AG with vinyl liner

-------------Now---- Target---- Adding
FC------------0 -------2---------- 37 oz. bleach (8.25%) ?
TA------------110-----100-------- 0
CH------------0-------175-------- Doesn't matter?
CYA-----------0--------40--------- 67 oz.

Last edited:
Welcome! :wave:

That is the right amount of bleach. I'd only add 3/4 of that CYA right now... it's hard to believe there is absolutely zero CYA in the water if the pool store's been loading you up with chemicals. You might have 10 or 20 CYA and targeting 40 will get you too high.

What is your pH?

TF-100 YEAH! :goodjob: Welcome to TFP :wave:. So let's see if we can help ....
- No need to use phosphate remover any longer
- My calculator shows the following:
FC from 0 to 2 add: 37 ox of 8.25% bleach (have some extra on-hand though)
CYA from 0 to 40 add: 67 oz by weight of granule stabilizer (takes a few days to register)
TA from 110 to 90: No change at this time
PH? What was your reading?
CH - We can come back to that.

Focus on getting stabilizer in your pool right away to protect your chlorine. That process takes a few days. In the meantime, watch your FC closely as it will burn-off quickly from the sun. Do NOT let your FC drop below 3 or you run the risk of an algae bloom/green pool. Yuck!

Ask if you have any more questions, and welcome again!

I'm so slow with computers. Forgot--- the PH is 7.8.
So I should put 93 oz. of bleach and 64 oz. of stabilizer at this time
and take another reading in a couple days right?
I will recheck my pool math to see why I went wrong.

I'm so slow with computers. Forgot--- the PH is 7.8.
So I should put 93 oz. of bleach and 64 oz. of stabilizer at this time
and take another reading in a couple days right?
I will recheck my pool math to see why I went wrong.
You used pool math right. It's the targets that are different between you and Texas Splash.

With zero CYA, target 2 FC. Go easy on the CYA so you don't go too high. Target 30 or so. When the CYA is dissolved, then you raise the FC target. The good news is that you will be losing less FC to the sun with some CYA in the water, so you shouldn't be needing significantly more bleach every day to maintain that higher level.

Please stick with your "first" estimate of bleach as Richard recommended (37oz) as you "break-in" your pool. Add the stabilizer right away, but instead of doing the whole 64 oz, also cut that to about 40oz or so just to make sure you don't "over-shoot" what you want ... just incase your initial CYA test was off slightly (lower than you thought). In a few days, you can bump the FC up to its recommended level of 3-7.

So my input for FC target was 2. When I changed it to 5 it showed 93oz.
Their goal indicates 1 to 3 , but you guys recommend to target 5 ?

Ugh - typing at the same time again. Happens to me all the time. :) Good luck jmart!

- - - Updated - - -

That was my mistake jmart (saying 5). As Richard notes, you are correct to "start" with an FC or 2 (37 oz). Later, after your CYA goes up, you can increase it at that time. Sorry if I confused you. I edited my first reply in hopes it doesn't throw you off. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.