Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Check my math please

1. Back To Top    #1

Check my math please

Good morning,
    1st post and 1st time using the TF-100 kit. From this point on, I plan on using this TFP approach.
    So far I've opened my pool according to the pool store's recommendation. Pool went from green to clear.
    The last product I used was phosphate remover.
    I'm ready to add the chemicals according to my pool math results and I'd like a 2nd opinion please.

12,500 gal.-- AG with vinyl liner

-------------Now---- Target---- Adding
    FC------------0 -------2---------- 37 oz. bleach (8.25%) ?
    TA------------110-----100-------- 0
    CH------------0-------175-------- Doesn't matter?
    CYA-----------0--------40--------- 67 oz.
    Last edited by jmart; 06-05-2015 at 08:09 AM. Reason: for some reason, the spaces didn't show up in columns the way I printed it (?)
    12,500 gal. AG---extruded alum. with 1hp Hayward EC-50, D.E. filter ( both 30 yrs. old)--Taylor TF-100---well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Check my math please

Welcome!

That is the right amount of bleach. I'd only add 3/4 of that CYA right now... it's hard to believe there is absolutely zero CYA in the water if the pool store's been loading you up with chemicals. You might have 10 or 20 CYA and targeting 40 will get you too high.

What is your pH?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TF-100 YEAH! Welcome to TFP . So let's see if we can help ....
    - No need to use phosphate remover any longer
    - My calculator shows the following:
    FC from 0 to 2 add: 37 ox of 8.25% bleach (have some extra on-hand though)
    CYA from 0 to 40 add: 67 oz by weight of granule stabilizer (takes a few days to register)
    TA from 110 to 90: No change at this time
    PH? What was your reading?
    CH - We can come back to that.

Focus on getting stabilizer in your pool right away to protect your chlorine. That process takes a few days. In the meantime, watch your FC closely as it will burn-off quickly from the sun. Do NOT let your FC drop below 3 or you run the risk of an algae bloom/green pool. Yuck!

Ask if you have any more questions, and welcome again!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Easy now, Tex.... with no CYA, 5 FC is pushing it. In a day or two, once some of the CYA has dissolved, absolutely target 5 and never dip below 3, but I'm assuming people want to get in the water today.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Bwaahaaa. Okay Richard. Thank you for clarifying. I need to holster a little bleach until we get some more protection huh? I had tunnel vision on the recommended levels.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm so slow with computers. Forgot--- the PH is 7.8.
    So I should put 93 oz. of bleach and 64 oz. of stabilizer at this time
    and take another reading in a couple days right?
    I will recheck my pool math to see why I went wrong.
    12,500 gal. AG---extruded alum. with 1hp Hayward EC-50, D.E. filter ( both 30 yrs. old)--Taylor TF-100---well water

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    I'm so slow with computers. Forgot--- the PH is 7.8.
    So I should put 93 oz. of bleach and 64 oz. of stabilizer at this time
    and take another reading in a couple days right?
    I will recheck my pool math to see why I went wrong.
    You used pool math right. It's the targets that are different between you and Texas Splash.

With zero CYA, target 2 FC. Go easy on the CYA so you don't go too high. Target 30 or so. When the CYA is dissolved, then you raise the FC target. The good news is that you will be losing less FC to the sun with some CYA in the water, so you shouldn't be needing significantly more bleach every day to maintain that higher level.

8. Back To Top    #8

Please stick with your "first" estimate of bleach as Richard recommended (37oz) as you "break-in" your pool. Add the stabilizer right away, but instead of doing the whole 64 oz, also cut that to about 40oz or so just to make sure you don't "over-shoot" what you want ... just incase your initial CYA test was off slightly (lower than you thought). In a few days, you can bump the FC up to its recommended level of 3-7.

9. Back To Top    #9

So my input for FC target was 2. When I changed it to 5 it showed 93oz.
    Their goal indicates 1 to 3 , but you guys recommend to target 5 ?

10. Back To Top    #10

Ugh - typing at the same time again. Happens to me all the time. Good luck jmart!

- - - Updated - - -

That was my mistake jmart (saying 5). As Richard notes, you are correct to "start" with an FC or 2 (37 oz). Later, after your CYA goes up, you can increase it at that time. Sorry if I confused you. I edited my first reply in hopes it doesn't throw you off.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ok, so for now I will put 37 oz. bleach and 40 oz. stabilizer and I will retest
    CYA in a week and chlorine say tonight?

12. Back To Top    #12

You got it! Sorry for all the back & forth there. It's Friday and I need to be in my pool.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks for the help.
    by the time I type a response, I've gotten a few replies. It adds to the confusion, sorry!

14. Back To Top    #14

We're all confused! It's Friday!

15. Back To Top    #15

So if I have other questions do I start a new thread or continue this one?

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    So if I have other questions do I start a new thread or continue this one?
    If it's chemistry, keep it all in one thread. If it's something else, start a new thread.