Flow of water reduces over hours

huffti

Jun 5, 2015
Hooksett
Good Morning Everyone,
I am new to the board along with being a new pool owner. This year I opened my girlfriends pool and have never done this before but everything is going well except for one strange problem. What seems to be happening is when the pool filter is running after a few hours the circulation/flow rate goes down dramatically. The pressure does not go up so I don't believe its clogged up and I have even cleaned it out once already and there wasn't much junk stuck in the DE. What I have noticed is if I shut the pump off remove the clear plastic cover on the motor where the basket is and put it back on the flow rate and circulation is great for a few more hours. It's almost like there is some kind of back pressure causing the pump not to pump much after some time. I don't see any air and there is plenty of water getting to the pump so I know that's not it. Any ideas on what the cause is would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

First ... welcome Tim to TFP! :wave: It may help everyone concerned if you could provide the specifics of the pool you are working on. Much like what you see in my sig below. That will help the reader when trying to assist you. Since you "may" have a pump issue, try to be specific with the type/model and that might help as well. Thanks, and welcome again.

Just off the top of my head, I'm thinking a restriction on the suction side. You may not get bubbles (i.e sucking air) but if something like a rubber ducky or something could be making its way into suction line and reducing flow. Don't know if that would make the pump growl as it is working harder to pull water, but it can't be good on the motor. When you turn pump off whatever might be restricting flow releases and then get sucked back in on startup. I think that's where I would start looking first

The gauge may still be bad, just sticking when it gets to a certain pressure level and showing no higher.

Just goes to show you may never know !
I went out last evening to drain some water off the pool (rain, rain, rain) and I noticed pressure reading 4 lbs higher than normal. Thought, ok backwash while draining.

Low and behold gauge dropped to 2 lbs, not zero when shut off. I got curious thinking of Isaacs' post and SLOWY started to turn off return line while pump was running.

The pressure started to rise, but not like I thought it would, so I stopped (if gauge was bad didn't want to blow the filter top off).

Bottom line, I ordered a new gauge from TFTestkits last night ! It may not be what your problem is, but it helped me. Thanks Isaac !:goodpost:

P.S.- gauge was working fine 3 weeks ago when I opened

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.