Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH Testing

1. Back To Top    #1

PH Testing

I have the TF100 kit and I seem to struggle with the basic chlorine and PH test. I seem to have a hard time picking the matching colors out. I really like the FC drop test as it is easy for me to do and precise. Is there anyway I can get a more precise PH reading? Any other test or equipment I can buy?
    20k? gal, IG plaster, 3HP Pentair Intelliflo variable pump, Hayward cartridge filter, built in 1987 with spa but currently have no heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH Testing

Sometimes when doing the PH test we try so hard to focus on getting an "exact" color match between the water and the vile our eyes/brain get frustrated. Personally, I found my best success to do this test (like some other tests) outside, protecting the vile from direct sunlight (i.e. under my patio or back to the sun). This always seems to help me read/match the colors better. I do the same for my CYA test when trying to stare at that dot. GGrrrrr.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I use the chlorine basic test (the color match yellow drops) as mor of a "yes, there is chlorine in the pool rather than a test to get an exact reading.

For the pH test it is best to hold it up facing a white object (paper or wall) and even then, the difference between let's say 7.4 and 7.5 really doesn't matter. You are never going to be able to keep it at an exact reading, you just want it in a comfortable range.

Too many people worry about having perfect numbers when it is,generally not necessary.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I always put the sun at my back and quickly glance at the vile (my pool fence is white which helps). If I cannot immediately pick out the level, I focus on something else, then look back at the vile. Once or twice doing that and I usually can get my pH level.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I am not opposed to getting something like this or maybe one of the cheaper box type ones. What do you think?

Dr. MeterĀ® PH100 0.01 Resolution High Accuracy Pocket Size pH Meter with ATC, 0-14pH Measurement Range, White: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific
    20k? gal, IG plaster, 3HP Pentair Intelliflo variable pump, Hayward cartridge filter, built in 1987 with spa but currently have no heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Personally, I wouldn't get it. You need to calibrate any electronic measuring device. Getting calibration solutions, and keeping them viable, could be problematic.
    Steve
    32 X 16 inground, 17260 gallons, Vinyl Liner, Triton II TR-60 filter,
    Sta-Rite 1hp pump Model #MPRA6E-147L, CircuPool SI-30 Plus SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Propbndr View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't get it. You need to calibrate any electronic measuring device. Getting calibration solutions, and keeping them viable, could be problematic.
    this is the biggest problem. All these devices need calibration. Additionally, you need to clean it with distiller water before and after use. After a while folks begin to slack off on the calibration and cleaning - leading to erroneous results.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

This thread was helpful to me. For pH, it's the color you're trying to match (try to ignore the saturation level of the color). Some folks use more or less than the prescribed 5 drops to get more or less saturation. I personally use 4 drops, and try to view the comparator with a white sheet of paper in the background.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.